all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Separate mode for Markdown files?
@ 2016-12-06 17:30 Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2016-12-06 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm running Emacs 24.5. Apropos shows me nothing matching "markdown",
find-library doesn't find a markdown library, and Google shows multiple
markdown mode packages. At the moment I just set text-mode for .md files.
Is there a "one ring to rule them all" for markdown mode? I presume they
understand Markdown syntax to some extent and colorize things in some
non-retina-searing manner. Pick one and be done with it? Continue with
plain old text-mode? Try several (hopefully not)?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro

* Re: Separate mode for Markdown files?
@ 2016-12-06 19:25 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2016-12-06 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Skip Montanaro

Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Emacs 24.5. Apropos shows me nothing matching "markdown",
> find-library doesn't find a markdown library, and Google shows multiple
> markdown mode packages. At the moment I just set text-mode for .md files.
> Is there a "one ring to rule them all" for markdown mode? I presume they
> understand Markdown syntax to some extent and colorize things in some
> non-retina-searing manner. Pick one and be done with it? Continue with
> plain old text-mode? Try several (hopefully not)?

I use Jason Blevins's `markdown-mode'[1], which you can install from
MELPA.

[1] http://jblevins.org/projects/markdown-mode/

        John

* Re: Separate mode for Markdown files?
@ 2016-12-06 19:53 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-12-06 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Montanaro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Dec 06 2016, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I'm running Emacs 24.5. Apropos shows me nothing matching
> "markdown",
> find-library doesn't find a markdown library, and Google shows
> multiple
> markdown mode packages.

Multiple? I only know of one:

http://jblevins.org/projects/markdown-mode/

It can be installed through Melpa.

There's also markdown-preview-mode, which is essentially an add-on
for markdown-mode, not a competitor, and there's
markdown-mode+.el, which is also an add-on with some rudimentary
Pandoc support, but given that its last commit is four years old
and Pandoc has evolved quite a bit since then, I wouldn't expect
too much from it.

If you do use Pandoc, you may want to take a look at pandoc-mode,
but caveat emptor, as it's a package maintained by yours truly:

https://joostkremers.github.io/pandoc-mode/

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Separate mode for Markdown files?
@ 2016-12-06 20:01   ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2016-12-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks all. I guess I misread the Google search results. (My brain is a bit
foggy today, running on lack of sleep...) I'll aim for Jason Blevins'
package.

Skip