On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Ivan Andrus wrote: > On Mar 19, 2014, at 9:03 AM, Lennart Borgman > wrote: > > On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Ivan Andrus wrote: > >> On Mar 18, 2014, at 10:18 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull >> wrote: >> >> >> For example while editing html, if one clicks on an element, code >> >> for css-style property for that element is displayed direclty below >> >> under the lineof the code for that tag and one can edit that >> >> particular piece of css. >> > >> > Which CSS property? The "C" in CSS stands for "cascading". That is, >> > there may be a style attribute on the current element, there may be a >> > style element in the document, and there may be multiple rel=style >> > links in the document, any of which might be what you're editing. Or >> > you might actually be creating a style attribute on the element. >> >> I haven’t used it, but I think it grabs _all_ relevant styles. Gathering >> them from across several files, and putting them in a single editable place. >> >> -Ivan >> > > Is not that a very difficult part? It requires tight integration with the > webbrowser (or a framework within Emacs for CSS+HTML). > > > I definitely think that is hard, but also the _useful_ part. Having it in > the same buffer is eye candy, but doesn’t seem that much better than a > separate buffer IMHO (not to discourage anyone). Something along the lines > of wgrep.el, but bringing in the correct portions of buffers intelligently > would be awesome. Brackets does it for html/css, but I would like it for > C++, elisp, and other modes as well. e.g. I think it would be really nice > to have a buffer with every occurrence of some function/object to be able > to edit them all in a single place. But finding everything is non-trivial, > see for example the recent clang vs gcc vs CEDET thread. :-) > > -Ivan > Then I think Emacs must move in the direction of much tighter integration with compilers and environments. Tighter integration with the environments probably means allowing Emacs to be used as a plugin (in the browser in this case).