On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > There are the standard modern terms cut, paste and copy. > > It is also about the key-bindings. cua-mode should be a first class citizen in Emacs. As it is now enabling cua-mode is possible, but the manuals does not fit entirely when you do. And that is of course troubles for new users. > In regard to windows, buffers and frames, we could have a mode of > operation which ties each buffer to a one-window frame. That would > eliminate a lot of complexity. > Buffer is a new concept and it is fine. But "frames" and "windows" in Emacs is of course confusing for beginners. More standard terms would be good for them, I guess. > We could even offer that as the mode of use for beginners, if that > would make it easier for a new generation of hackers to become Emacs > users. I don't know whether it WOULD have that effect, but if it > would, I think it is a good idea. > > A mode for beginners would be good, but the exact content of such a mode is worth considering. As you know I did something like this in the EmacsW32 distribution for MS Windows (which I do not have time to maintain any more, merging took me too much time since my addiitons took too long to be accepted into Emacs). > Do beginners typically run Emacs under a graphical window system? > Yes, of course.