On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Drew Adams wrote: > > The right takeaway for a new user is that learning Emacs is > learning something new and different - it is not your momma's > editor. And it rightfully has its own terminology, which you > had better learn also. > > Did not someone say it was his momma's editor? ;-) I think you are taking your points too far. For me the problem is how to make a good road into Emacs for new users. I want a feeling like "this is what I am used to and now I am glad I discovered the new possibilities". It should be both familiar and new at the same time. > The Greek philosopher Proclus records that when Ptolemy asked > if there wasn't perhaps an easier way to learn Emacs than Emacs, > Euclid replied, "Sire, there is no royal road to Emacs." > There might be some translation error or misunderstanding there. ;-)