On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 12:15 AM, Xue Fuqiao wrote: > On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Lennart Borgman > wrote: > >> Also, didn't cua-mode already `fix' this: > >> > >> > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/CUA-Bindings.html > >> > >> Though that brings me to something that's been bugging me since someone > >> first told me (last year) that cua-mode had actually gone into emacs: > >> my recollection from the early 1990s was that the CUA keystrokes for > >> cut, copy, and paste were *not* C-x, C-c, and C-v; but rather > >> S-delete, C-insert, and S-insert (respectively). These were the > >> keystrokes that I remember using in Windows at the time, and > >> what I've also been using in Emacs and other applications in X11 > >> since about that time, and even what I used in applications on > >> Mac OS X when I needed to use it just a couple of years ago. > >> > >> Wikipedia seems to agree with my memory rather than what's in the Emacs > >> manual: > >> > >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_User_Access > >> > >> Did the CUA spec actually change to use C-x, C-c, C-v at some point, or > >> is Emacs cua-mode mistaken about which standard it's implementing? > > > > Ah, so you mean that cua-mode was also badly named in Emacs in should be > > renamed? ;-) > > Eli said that there's more than one interpretation of CUA: > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-04/msg00499.html > > -- > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ > Yes, but here is the important point from that page: "The subset of CUA implemented in Microsoft Windows or OSF/Motif is generally considered a de facto standard to be followed by any new Unix GUI environment." Using the Alt+underlined letter to open a menu is still a problem in Emacs. (I have, or had, a patch for that, but it was never accepted.)