all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* writing new speedbar modes?
@ 2012-12-08  2:09 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2012-12-08  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I need towrite a new major mode for speedbar (for the Scrivener
project I've described elsewhere on this list), but it looks a little
harder than I can handle on my own. Has anyone out there done this
already, or can you point me to an example that might be relatively
easy to  follow?  I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: writing new speedbar modes?
@ 2012-12-08  9:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-12-08  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:09:19 -0500
> From: Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com>
>
> I need towrite a new major mode for speedbar (for the Scrivener
> project I've described elsewhere on this list), but it looks a little
> harder than I can handle on my own. Has anyone out there done this
> already, or can you point me to an example that might be relatively
> easy to  follow?  I'd really appreciate it!

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but did you read the "Extending"
chapter of the Speedbar manual?  That manual comes with Emacs.

If the above chapter doesn't give you enough information, please
consider submitting a documentation bug report.

* Re: writing new speedbar modes?
@ 2012-12-08 12:42   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2012-12-08 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:09:19 -0500
>> From: Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com>
>>
>> I need towrite a new major mode for speedbar (for the Scrivener
>> project I've described elsewhere on this list), but it looks a little
>> harder than I can handle on my own. Has anyone out there done this
>> already, or can you point me to an example that might be relatively
>> easy to  follow?  I'd really appreciate it!
>
> Forgive me for asking the obvious, but did you read the "Extending"
> chapter of the Speedbar manual?  That manual comes with Emacs.
>
> If the above chapter doesn't give you enough information, please
> consider submitting a documentation bug report.

I did read it, but I don't understand big parts of it. I can file a
bug I guess, but what might help me would be to see a real example of
a major mode, after which I can start editing the work of a competent
coder...

I will go ahead and file a bug, though.

thanks,
matt