On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 4:35 PM Alan Mackenzie wrote: > Hello, Stefan. > > On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 13:35:08 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > [ .... ] > > > It should be easy (much smaller than a summer project) to change the C > > code so that a bytecode offset can be extracted from the backtrace. > > > The harder and more interesting part is how to propagate source > > information (line numbers and/or lexical variable names and location) > > to byte-code. There are many parts to this, so it's definitely > > possible to get some summer project(s) out of it. E.g. one such > > project is to change the reader so it outputs "fat cons cells" (i.e. > > cons-cells with line-num info), then arrange for that info to survive > > `macroexpand-all` and `cconv.el`. That could already be used to give > > more precise line numbers in bytecompiler warnings. > > "More precise line numbers" is a misconstruction, even though I've used > such language myself in the past. Line numbers don't come from a > physical instrument which measures with, say +-1% accuracy. CORRECT > line (and column) numbers are what we need. > A bytecode offset is exact and accurate. Right now this information unavailable. I think the interpreter uses C pointers stored in a register. So just recording the bytecode offset is a little bit of a slowdown, but not that much. I doubt it would even register as %1 slower. But just that would open the way for improvements. This is doable by a Summer student - Stefan thinks it trivial. But tas you point out there is overhead in getting it accepted and into GNU Emacs. Having access to the bytecode offset in a traceback there next are several options. At the lowest level there is just showing that along with a disassembly of the bytecode. And that I believe that is also doable by a summer student. Going further are a number of options that folks have mentioned so I won't expand on that. > You will recall that the output of correct line/column numbers for byte > compiler messages is a solved problem. I solved it and presented the > fix in December 2018. This fix was rejected because it made Emacs > slightly slower. > > In the 3½ years I've been grappling with this problem, I've tried all > sorts of things like "fat cons cells". They don't work, and can't work. > They can't work because large chunks of our software chew up and spit > out cons cells with gay abandon (I'm talking about the byte compiler and > things like cconv.el here). More to the point, users' macros chew up and > spit out cons cells, and we have no control over them. So whilst we > could, with a lot of tedious effort, clean up our own software to > preserve cons cells (believe me, I've tried), this would fail in users' > macros. > > Since then I've worked a fair bit on creating a "double" Emacs core, one > core being for normal use, the other for byte compiling. There's a fair > amount of work still to do on this, but I know how to do it. The problem > is that I have been discouraged by the prospect of having this solution > vetoed too, since it will make Emacs quite a bit bigger. > > I don't think it is fair to give this problem to a group of summer > coders. It is too hard a problem, both technically and politically. > Ok. So do you have a suggestion for what a summer student might do? > > [ .... ] > > > Stefan > > -- > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany). >