On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 5:45 PM Andrea Corallo wrote: > Stefan Monnier writes: > > >> Do we really need some dedicated low level object? > > > > I don't know what you mean, sorry. > > > >> This should be all overhead that disappears with compilation anyway. > > > > I get the impression that you were referring to the part where I talked > > about the "object description" for the runtime system. Compilation is > > of no help here. It's already all happening in C code. > > > > Maybe rewriting in a language with a bit more introspection might make > > an "object description" more-or-less readily available (maybe the > > Remacs work might qualify), but we'd still need to connect that with > > a GC and with pdump etc... > > Ops I now understand, we are talking about 4 different problems: > > 1 source location going through the compilation pipeline > 2 debug information into bytecode to debug > The above two I think a summer student could do. Clarification of item 2. There is *reporting* location information especially in traceback information on an error, which I suppose could be considered "to debug". 3 autogenerate GC and pdumper code from obj description > 4 GC > > Clear to me thanks. > > Andrea > > -- > akrl@sdf.org >