https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/ seems like a good place for people to congregate and it leaves the mailing lists for less casual use. On Mon, Oct 14, 2024 at 1:45 AM Kristoffer Balintona < krisbalintona@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sun, Oct 13 2024, Philip Kaludercic wrote: > > > Emanuel Berg writes: > > > >> Kristoffer Balintona wrote: > >> > >>> Thank you for the supportive words. In the past, I've been > >>> quite daunted by how different Emacs' development process is > >>> and how upstream Emacs feels more "official" than much > >>> smaller packages. You've been very encouraging, so I think > >>> I'll try and work on vtable sorting in the coming > >>> days/weeks. Thanks again. > >> > >> What one could do, is split emacs-devel into `emacs-devel' and > >> `emacs-project' (or maybe `emacs-lisp-project'). > >> > >> emacs-project would then be supportive of anyone being active > >> with emacs at their own (any) level, emacs-devel OTOH there > >> some elitism would be expected since there it is only about > >> pushing code to core Emacs and associated packages. > >> > >> That said, some projects would eventually make their way all > >> the way into very central packages if not core Emacs. > >> > >> So it would more be trying to have a culture to fit > >> the purpose of the moment. > >> > >> Yes, where are you suppose to talk about your Emacs projects? > >> If they are about Emacs, they are not off-topic here, and also > >> not at #emacs, still, trust me, it can feel contrary to all > >> instinct to bring them up. So it should be the other way > >> around, we should have a place where this feel natural. > > > > Why don't you use help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, if you have questions? Or > > more generally a personal website? That is usually what people use for > > a personal blog. > > Regarding using emacs-devel@gnu.org versus help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, I > think Emanuel's intent was most evident here: > > So it would more be trying to have a culture to fit the purpose of > the moment. > > I think the proposed emacs-lisp-project mailing list would be geared > for an audience coming from a different background, thereby perceiving > the mailing list as a foreign and intimidating place to "put yourself > out there." Newcomers and non-programmers (or both) are the first to > come to mind. > > I think Emanuel hopes that another mailing list could cater towards > those who are as experienced in programming or serious in contributing > to Emacs (Emanuel mentioned how emacs-devel sometimes comes with a > degree of elitism--at least from the eyes of a newcomer). "Culturally" > (or "conventionally," if you wish) it seems like help-gnu-emacs is the > mailing list for "I just need help, potentially for basic questions," > while emacs-devel is where the critical and extensive contributions and > discussions occur. > > Given that, what if a user wants to share their tinkering (with or > without the intent of having it eventually merged into upstream Emacs) > with others to receive feedback? emacs-devel would be more appropriate > than help-gnu-emacs, but the user might feel that their tinkering is > out-of-place when beside discussions of e.g. the intricacies of the C > core and significant patches to well-known built-ins. > > In any case, this was just my attempt at trying to understand Emanuel's > initial proposition. Eli Zaretskii mentioned the additional overhead of > managing another mailing list, so I tend to agree that we should keep > emacs-devel and help-gnu-emacs as is. But perhaps Emanuel can chime in > again. > > -- > With appreciation, > Kristoffer > >