Thanks John for the detailed analysis. Windows Update reports my system is up to date. As I understand it: 1. My certificate store is valid. 2. Savannah's HTTPS responses are valid. 3. Emacs 27.2 per se's behavior is valid. 4. GnuTLS 3.6.12 has a bug that produces incorrect results even in presence of 1-2. 5. Emacs 27.2 Windows binaries from ftp.gnu.org include GnuTLS 3.6.12, which has this bug. The Emacs 28 pretest Windows binaries from earlier in the year include GnuTLS 3.6.15. I hope this means everything will work as expected on the final Emacs 28.1 Windows binaries.