all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
@ 2012-01-07 21:28 Yuan Luo
From: Yuan Luo @ 2012-01-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

So I have the following setting for dircolors in my ~/.bashrc. With my
customized ~/.dircolors file, a regular terminal shows the desired colors
upon ls in the shell. However, within the shell of emacs, it still shows
the default colors upon ls. This happens in emacs23, what am I missing?

if [ -x /usr/bin/dircolors ]; then
    test -r ~/.dircolors && eval "$(dircolors -b ~/.dircolors)" || eval
"$(dircolors -b)"
    alias ls='ls --color=auto'
fi

Thanks,
Yuan

* Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
@ 2012-01-08  0:12 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-01-08  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Yuan Luo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 7.1.2012 um 22:28 schrieb Yuan Luo:

> This happens in emacs23, what am I missing?

Put the useful shell aliases also in ~/.emacs_bash – this file is read in by the bash running in a *shell* buffer. (~/.emacs_bash can also be linked with ~/.bashrc. Maybe it's possible to customise the bash that it reads in ~/.bashrc.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

The future will be much better tomorrow.
				– George W. Bush

* Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
@ 2012-01-08  0:36   ` Yuan Luo
From: Yuan Luo @ 2012-01-08  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your quick reply, I linked ~/.emacs_bash to ~/.bashrc but the
default color is still not changed. I read more about ~/.emacs_bash, it
seems to me emacs sends the content from this file to the interactive shell
upon starting. However, if I directly type "dircolors -b ~/.dircolors" in
emacs interactive shell, I got the following result:

LS_COLORS='';
export LS_COLORS

where as the same command typed in a regular system shell would yield the
desired LS_COLORS.

What could be the problem here?
Thanks,
Yuan

@ 2012-01-08 10:50     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-01-08 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Yuan Luo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 8.1.2012 um 01:36 schrieb Yuan Luo:

> What could be the problem here?

Are in GNU Emacs' *shell* buffer any shell aliases defined? Is particularly your ls alias set? Which "ls" is found first for execution: your recursive alias definition (alias ls='ls --color=auto' – which "ls" is which?) or the ls programme?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
@ 2012-01-09  1:05       ` Yuan Luo
From: Yuan Luo @ 2012-01-09  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Below is the output from 'alias' in an emacs shell

alias alert='notify-send --urgency=low -i "$([ $? = 0 ] && echo terminal ||
echo error)" "$(history|tail -n1|sed -e
'\''s/^\s*[0-9]\+\s*//;s/[;&|]\s*alert$//'\'')"'
alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'
alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
alias grep='grep --color=auto'
alias l='ls -CF'
alias la='ls -A'
alias ll='ls -alF'
alias ls='ls --color=auto'

Anything noticeable?

Best,
Yuan

@ 2012-01-09  9:53         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-01-09  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Yuan Luo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 9.1.2012 um 02:05 schrieb Yuan Luo:

> alias l='ls -CF'
> alias la='ls -A'
> alias ll='ls -alF'
> alias ls='ls --color=auto'
>
> Anything noticeable?

IMO it's not recommended to use the same symbol, "ls", left and right of the equals sign. I recommend to use the full pathname of the ls programme when this programme is meant.

Are all aliases from ~/.bashrc listed inside GNU Emacs?

Can you trace the execution of the ls alias?

Have you tried to use the more ANSI compliant "term" function/emulation?

It can be that you need to set up the *shell* buffer to actually show colours (*term* has it activated by default, by its more complete compliance to ANSI):

    (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook (lambda ()
    	(ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)))

Check your GNU Emacs documentation on this topic!

--
Greetings

  Pete

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
				– Isaac Asimov

* Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
@ 2012-01-09 16:43           ` Yuan Luo
From: Yuan Luo @ 2012-01-09 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

All aliases in ~/.bashrc are listed in emacs shells.
I already had have ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on set.
execution of ls traces to /bin/ls

Maybe i was not clear in the beginning, the emacs shell can show colors,
but not to my customization, for example, I customized it to show
executables in purple, it still show them in red. While a regular terminal
shows the desirable purple color for executables (as in below, left is
regular terminal, right is emacs shell).

@ 2012-01-09 16:48             ` Yuan Luo
From: Yuan Luo @ 2012-01-09 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry forgot attaching picture. Here it is.

Best,
Yuan
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Yuan Luo <yuan.hypnos.luo@gmail.com> wrote:

> All aliases in ~/.bashrc are listed in emacs shells.
> I already had have ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on set.
> execution of ls traces to /bin/ls
>
> Maybe i was not clear in the beginning, the emacs shell can show colors,
> but not to my customization, for example, I customized it to show
> executables in purple, it still show them in red. While a regular terminal
> shows the desirable purple color for executables (as in below, left is
> regular terminal, right is emacs shell).
>

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>wrote:
>

>> Am 9.1.2012 um 02:05 schrieb Yuan Luo:
>>
>> > alias l='ls -CF'
>> > alias la='ls -A'
>> > alias ll='ls -alF'
>> > alias ls='ls --color=auto'
>> >
>> > Anything noticeable?
>>
>> IMO it's not recommended to use the same symbol, "ls", left and right of
>> the equals sign. I recommend to use the full pathname of the ls programme
>> when this programme is meant.
>>
>> Are all aliases from ~/.bashrc listed inside GNU Emacs?
>>
>> Can you trace the execution of the ls alias?
>>
>> Have you tried to use the more ANSI compliant "term" function/emulation?
>>
>> It can be that you need to set up the *shell* buffer to actually show
>> colours (*term* has it activated by default, by its more complete
>> compliance to ANSI):
>>
>>    (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook (lambda ()
>>        (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)))
>>
>> Check your GNU Emacs documentation on this topic!
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>  Pete
>>
>> The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
>> discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
>>                                – Isaac Asimov

[-- Attachment #2: regular_vs_emacs_shell.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 45722 bytes --]

* Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
@ 2012-01-09 20:56             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-01-09 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Yuan Luo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 9.1.2012 um 17:43 schrieb Yuan Luo:

> All aliases in ~/.bashrc are listed in emacs shells.
> I already had have ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on set.
> execution of ls traces to /bin/ls

Does it work when you use

	/bin/ls --color=auto /bin
	/bin/ls --color /bin

manually and directly?

My manual page explains:

	With --color=auto, ls emits color codes only when standard output is connected to a terminal. The LS_COLORS environment variable can change the settings. Use the dircolors command to set it.

There is a chance that LS_COLORS hinders ls, it's also possible that in *shell* buffer standard output is not connected to a terminal. The latter seems to be true for me on Mac OS X (10.6.8, Snow Leopard). So by omitting the "=auto" should make your aliases work.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
@ 2012-01-15 22:34               ` Yuan Luo
From: Yuan Luo @ 2012-01-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs