All aliases in ~/.bashrc are listed in emacs shells. I already had have ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on set. execution of ls traces to /bin/ls Maybe i was not clear in the beginning, the emacs shell can show colors, but not to my customization, for example, I customized it to show executables in purple, it still show them in red. While a regular terminal shows the desirable purple color for executables (as in below, left is regular terminal, right is emacs shell). On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote: > > Am 9.1.2012 um 02:05 schrieb Yuan Luo: > > > alias l='ls -CF' > > alias la='ls -A' > > alias ll='ls -alF' > > alias ls='ls --color=auto' > > > > Anything noticeable? > > IMO it's not recommended to use the same symbol, "ls", left and right of > the equals sign. I recommend to use the full pathname of the ls programme > when this programme is meant. > > Are all aliases from ~/.bashrc listed inside GNU Emacs? > > Can you trace the execution of the ls alias? > > Have you tried to use the more ANSI compliant "term" function/emulation? > > It can be that you need to set up the *shell* buffer to actually show > colours (*term* has it activated by default, by its more complete > compliance to ANSI): > > (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook (lambda () > (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on))) > > Check your GNU Emacs documentation on this topic! > > -- > Greetings > > Pete > > The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new > discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..." > – Isaac Asimov > >