all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cursor locked in status line - no way out
@ 2012-02-24 15:11 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-24 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi List,
I dont know how I did it, but I managed two times now to lock my cursor
in the status line with no way out but shutting down (the emacsclient).
The cursor sits then close to the line-number symbol, and when I press
C-p or C-n the line number change (e.g. from L10 to L9 and L11), but
there is no visible cursor on the screen anymore.
Hitting all the usual keys (C-g, ESC) did not help me out.
Anybody knows what feature of Emacs I discovered here by some finger slipping
on the keyboard?

my system:
"GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-02-07 on arch
Org-mode version 7.8.03
Ma Gnus v0.2"

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* RE: Cursor locked in status line - no way out
@ 2012-02-24 15:14 ` Ludwig, Mark
From: Ludwig, Mark @ 2012-02-24 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

This sort of stuff is why tell my friends that I don't care to play computer games: everyday computer work can be entertaining enough.

(I have no idea how you did this, but I love your assumption that you stumbled onto some feature of Emacs.  I agree!)

Cheers,

Mark

@ 2012-02-25 10:57 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-02-25 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 16:11, Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Anybody knows what feature of Emacs I discovered here by some finger slipping
> on the keyboard?

A bug maybe? Have you tried setting debug-on-error and debug-on-quit
to t? That should give you some hints.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Cursor locked in status line - no way out
@ 2012-02-25 22:23   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-25 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 16:11, Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Anybody knows what feature of Emacs I discovered here by some finger
>> slipping
>> on the keyboard?
>
> A bug maybe? Have you tried setting debug-on-error and debug-on-quit
> to t? That should give you some hints.

maybe a bug, but a very rare species, and I have no Idea how to
replicate it. I will report when it happens again, and try to set the
debug variables then.

--

@ 2012-02-26 11:31     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-02-26 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Thorsten,

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 23:23, Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
> maybe a bug, but a very rare species, and I have no Idea how to
> replicate it. I will report when it happens again, and try to set the
> debug variables then.

I don't think you can set the variables after the fact. I suggest you
run emacs with at least[1] `debug-on-error' set to t all the time
until you resolve this issue.

GL

Footnotes:

[1] `debug-on-quit' set to t can be very annoying for daily use, but you
    can live with `debug-on-error' I believe.

--
Suvayu