all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* lisp question
@ 2007-04-29 17:14 Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-04-29 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

from the lisp tutorial which comes with emacs 22:

,----
| 1.8.3 Variable Number of Arguments
| ----------------------------------
|
| Some functions, such as `concat', `+' or `*', take any number of
| arguments.  (The `*' is the symbol for multiplication.)  This can be
| seen by evaluating each of the following expressions in the usual way.
| What you will see in the echo area is printed in this text after `=>',
| which you may read as `evaluates to'.
|
|    In the first set, the functions have no arguments:
|
|      (+)       => 0
|
|      (*)       => 1
|
|    In this set, the functions have one argument each:
|
|      (+ 3)     => 3
|
|      (* 3)     => 3
|
|    In this set, the functions have three arguments each:
|
|      (+ 3 4 5) => 12
|
|      (* 3 4 5) => 60
`----

It kind of glosses over sections (1) and (2).

Why do (*) and (* 3) evaluate to 1?

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-04-29 17:32 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2007-04-29 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <871wi385na.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com>
wrote:

> from the lisp tutorial which comes with emacs 22:
>
> ,----
> | 1.8.3 Variable Number of Arguments
> | ----------------------------------
> |
> | Some functions, such as `concat', `+' or `*', take any number of
> | arguments.  (The `*' is the symbol for multiplication.)  This can be
> | seen by evaluating each of the following expressions in the usual way.
> | What you will see in the echo area is printed in this text after `=>',
> | which you may read as `evaluates to'.
> |
> |    In the first set, the functions have no arguments:
> |
> |      (+)       => 0
> |
> |      (*)       => 1
> |
> |    In this set, the functions have one argument each:
> |
> |      (+ 3)     => 3
> |
> |      (* 3)     => 3
> |
> |    In this set, the functions have three arguments each:
> |
> |      (+ 3 4 5) => 12
> |
> |      (* 3 4 5) => 60
> `----
>
> It kind of glosses over sections (1) and (2).
>
> Why do (*) and (* 3) evaluate to 1?

(* 3) evaluates to 3, not 1.

With associative functions, calling them with no arguments returns the
identity value for that function.  This maintains the equivalence that

for any partitioning of the original arguments, including part1 or part2
being empty.  E.g.

(* 3 4 5) = (* (* 3) (* 4 5)) = (* (*) (* 3 4 5))

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-04-29 23:06   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-04-29 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <871wi385na.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> from the lisp tutorial which comes with emacs 22:
>>
>> ,----
>> | 1.8.3 Variable Number of Arguments
>> | ----------------------------------
>> |
>> | Some functions, such as `concat', `+' or `*', take any number of
>> | arguments.  (The `*' is the symbol for multiplication.)  This can be
>> | seen by evaluating each of the following expressions in the usual way.
>> | What you will see in the echo area is printed in this text after `=>',
>> | which you may read as `evaluates to'.
>> |
>> |    In the first set, the functions have no arguments:
>> |
>> |      (+)       => 0
>> |
>> |      (*)       => 1
>> |
>> |    In this set, the functions have one argument each:
>> |
>> |      (+ 3)     => 3
>> |
>> |      (* 3)     => 3
>> |
>> |    In this set, the functions have three arguments each:
>> |
>> |      (+ 3 4 5) => 12
>> |
>> |      (* 3 4 5) => 60
>> `----
>>
>> It kind of glosses over sections (1) and (2).
>>
>> Why do (*) and (* 3) evaluate to 1?
>
> (* 3) evaluates to 3, not 1.

Sorry, yes.

> With associative functions, calling them with no arguments returns the
> identity value for that function.  This maintains the equivalence that

> for any partitioning of the original arguments, including part1 or part2
> being empty.  E.g.
>
> (* 3 4 5) = (* (* 3) (* 4 5)) = (* (*) (* 3 4 5))

All clear. Thanks.

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-04-30 18:25 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-30 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs]

Why e^0 evaluates to 1?

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-04-30 19:09 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-04-30 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs]

Am 30.04.2007 um 20:25 schrieb A Soare:

> Why e^0 evaluates to 1?

Because ln(e) is 1 and ln(1) is 0. The third reason I do not
remember ...

--
Greetings

   Pete      <\
              _\     O  _
             |o \  _\\_/-\='
_____________(_)|-(_)  (_)___________________________________

* Re: lisp question
       [not found] <mailman.5.1177957929.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-01  8:23 ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2007-05-01  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> Why e^0 evaluates to 1?

x^0 is defined as 1 for all real values of x.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-05-01 11:41   ` Hartmut Figge
From: Hartmut Figge @ 2007-05-01 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brendan Halpin schribselte
>A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

>> Why e^0 evaluates to 1?
>
>x^0 is defined as 1 for all real values of x.

Mhm, not if x is zero. In this case the result is not defined. IIRC. :)

Hartmut
--
Usenet-ABC-Wiki http://www.usenet-abc.de/wiki/
Von Usern fuer User  :-)

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-05-01 13:24     ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2007-05-01 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hartmut Figge <h.figge@gmx.de> writes:

> Brendan Halpin schribselte
>>A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:
>
>>> Why e^0 evaluates to 1?
>>
>>x^0 is defined as 1 for all real values of x.
>
> Mhm, not if x is zero. In this case the result is not defined. IIRC. :)

That is really a matter of how you define it. Normally it's easier to
say that 0^0=1, it makes calculations easier.

> Hartmut

Greetings
Malte

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-05-01 18:39 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-05-01 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs]

What determined the mathematicians to give the definition of x^0 = 1, not defined for x=0 ?

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-05-01 19:10 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2007-05-01 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> What determined the mathematicians to give the definition of x^0 = 1,
> not defined for x=0 ?

Because 0/0 is undefined:

       x^1      x
x^0 =  ---- =  ---
       x^1      x

x=0 ->  0/0.

* Re: lisp question
       [not found] <mailman.55.1178045196.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-01 19:21 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2007-05-01 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.55.1178045196.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, A Soare wrote:
> What determined the mathematicians to give the definition of x^0 = 1, not defined for x=0 ?

Discussion of this point at
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sci-math-faq/specialnumbers/0to0/

--
Maarten Bergvelt

@ 2007-05-01 20:32 ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2007-05-01 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A Soare wrote:
> What determined the mathematicians to give the definition of x^0 = 1, not defined for x=0 ?

y = x^0
ln(y) = ln(x^0) = ln(x) * 0 = 0

and since ln(1) = 0, y = 1 for any (non-zero) value of x

* Re: lisp question
@ 2007-05-01 21:11   ` Marco Almeida
From: Marco Almeida @ 2007-05-01 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Tue, 01 May 2007 21:10:44 +0200,
Jesper Harder wrote:

> A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:
>
> > What determined the mathematicians to give the definition of x^0 = 1,
> > not defined for x=0 ?
>
> Because 0/0 is undefined:
>
>        x^1      x
> x^0 =  ---- =  ---
>        x^1      x
>
> x=0 ->  0/0.

As far as I know, 0^0 = 0 by convention (pretty much like 0 != 1)
Also, I think that your argument is wrong.

0^y = 0 for any y
0 is the characteristic of R and you can not divid by it

This means that your first step :

       x^1
x^0 =  ----
       x^1

is not valid, regardeless of the value you chose as exponent because you will be trying a division by zero.

Also, from Concrete Mathematics p.162 (R. Graham, D. Knuth, O. Patashnik):

Some textbooks leave the quantity 0^0 undefined, because the functions 0^x and x^0 have different limiting values when x decreases to 0. But this is a mistake. We must define x^0=1 for all x , if the binomial theorem is to be valid when x=0 , y=0 , and/or x=-y . The theorem is too important to be arbitrarily restricted! By contrast, the function 0^x is quite unimportant.

* lisp question
@ 2011-08-04  2:25 suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-08-04  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Elisp users,

I was trying to write some simple elisp code to manipulate properties
from an org-mode entry. I can't figure out what kind of variable is
returned and how I can extract "somecategory" into a string from it.

(org-get-category (point)) ; evaluating gives me the output below
#("somecategory" 0 12 (fontified t font-lock-fontified t face
org-meta-line org-category "property-test"))

Thanks for any guidance.

--
Suvayu

* Re: lisp question
@ 2011-08-04  4:52 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-04  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suvayu

> Hi Elisp users,
>
> I was trying to write some simple elisp code to manipulate properties
> from an org-mode entry. I can't figure out what kind of variable is
> returned and how I can extract "somecategory" into a string from it.
>
> (org-get-category (point)) ; evaluating gives me the output below
> #("somecategory" 0 12 (fontified t font-lock-fontified t face
> org-meta-line org-category "property-test"))

Return value is a text with properties. You can use

(substring-no-properties (org-get-category (point)))

to get just the text part.

I think you will be better off using the property APIs. You can use
(org-entry-get (point) "CATEGORY")

to extract the desired information.

See "Using the property API" section of the manual.

> Thanks for any guidance.

* Re: lisp question
@ 2011-08-04  6:49   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-08-04  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jambunathan,

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Return value is a text with properties. You can use
>
> (substring-no-properties (org-get-category (point)))
>
> to get just the text part.
>
> I think you will be better off using the property APIs. You can use
> (org-entry-get (point) "CATEGORY")
>
> to extract the desired information.
>
> See "Using the property API" section of the manual.

Thanks a lot for both the pointers! :)

--
Suvayu