all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C/C++ Mode Imenu Problem
@ 2012-02-02  7:43 Thomas D. Dean
From: Thomas D. Dean @ 2012-02-02  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd9.0, GTK+ Version 2.24.6) of
2012-01-07 on P9X79.tddhome

Using CC Mode version 5.31.8

In the C/C++ modes, if the number of items in the imenu is greater than
imenu-max-items, the displayed menu is grouped with items named

   from ...
   from ...

etc.

In this case, selecting one of the items from the imenu popup does not
result in a change to current line.  The display remains the same.

Changing imenu-max-items to a value greater than the number of items
found, all the items are displayed in one menu.

In this case, selecting one of the items from the imenu popup results in
the current line being changed to the item selected.  The display
changes to show the selected item.

I found a couple references to this in archives, but, no solution.

I believe this worked in emacs 22.

Tom Dean

* Re: C/C++ Mode Imenu Problem
@ 2012-02-02  8:40 ` Thomas D. Dean
From: Thomas D. Dean @ 2012-02-02  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 02/01/12 23:43, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd9.0, GTK+ Version 2.24.6) of
> 2012-01-07 on P9X79.tddhome
>
> Using CC Mode version 5.31.8
>
> In the C/C++ modes, if the number of items in the imenu is greater than
> imenu-max-items, the displayed menu is grouped with items named
>
> from ...
> from ...
>
> etc.
>
> In this case, selecting one of the items from the imenu popup does not
> result in a change to current line. The display remains the same.

In this case, pressing <return> rather than using mouse-1 changes the
current line to the selected item and changes the display to that item.

In the case where imenu-max-items is greater than the number of items in
the menu, mouse-1 changes the current line to the selected item and
changes the display to that item.

How can I change this behavior to have mouse-1 select the item in imenu?

Tom Dean

* Hierarchical iMenu problems (was: Re: C/C++ Mode Imenu Problem)
@ 2012-02-26 17:11   ` "Jérôme M. Berger"
From: "Jérôme M. Berger" @ 2012-02-26 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> On 02/01/12 23:43, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
>> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd9.0, GTK+ Version 2.24.6) of
>> 2012-01-07 on P9X79.tddhome
>>
>> Using CC Mode version 5.31.8
>>
>> In the C/C++ modes, if the number of items in the imenu is greater than
>> imenu-max-items, the displayed menu is grouped with items named
>>
>> from ...
>> from ...
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> In this case, selecting one of the items from the imenu popup does not
>> result in a change to current line. The display remains the same.
>
> In this case, pressing <return> rather than using mouse-1 changes the
> current line to the selected item and changes the display to that item.
>
> In the case where imenu-max-items is greater than the number of items in
> the menu, mouse-1 changes the current line to the selected item and
> changes the display to that item.
>
> How can I change this behavior to have mouse-1 select the item in imenu?

	The problem is not linked to C/C++ modes (I've seen it in Python
mode), nor to the number of items in the menu. The problem occurs
whenever the menu is hierachical (which may happen because there are
too many items, or because it was built that way e.g by semantic).

	I too would be interested in a solution. This is the last remaining
issue for me to drop XEmacs in favor of vanilla Emacs.

	Is there a bug tracker somewhere where the issue can be entered /
has already been entered?

	Thanks,
		Jerome
--
mailto:jeberger@free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr

* RE: Hierarchical iMenu problems (was: Re: C/C++ Mode Imenu Problem)
@ 2012-02-26 18:06     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-02-26 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '"Jérôme M. Berger"', help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a bug tracker somewhere where the issue can be
> entered / has already been entered?

The GNU Emacs bug tracker is here: http://debbugs.gnu.org/.

You can submit a bug report or enhancement request using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
See  also the Emacs manual: `C-h r g checklist'.

* RE: Hierarchical iMenu problems (was: Re: C/C++ Mode Imenu Problem)
@ 2012-02-26 18:14     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-02-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '"Jérôme M. Berger"', help-gnu-emacs

> The problem is not linked to C/C++ modes (I've seen it in Python
> mode), nor to the number of items in the menu. The problem occurs
> whenever the menu is hierachical (which may happen because there are
> too many items, or because it was built that way e.g by semantic).

I think you're saying that mouse-1 on an Imenu menu item does not take you to
the right place (or anywhere at all), whenever the menu is hierarchical (i.e.,
has submenus).

FWIW, I do not see that problem in any GNU Emacs version (20-24) on MS Windows.
Consider filing a bug report, giving a step-by-step recipe that starts from
`emacs -Q'.

* Re: Hierarchical iMenu problems
@ 2012-02-26 19:16       ` Thomas D. Dean
From: Thomas D. Dean @ 2012-02-26 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 02/26/12 10:06, Drew Adams wrote:
>> Is there a bug tracker somewhere where the issue can be
>> entered / has already been entered?
>
> The GNU Emacs bug tracker is here: http://debbugs.gnu.org/.
>
> You can submit a bug report or enhancement request using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
> See  also the Emacs manual: `C-h r g checklist'.

Bug #10706

Tom Dean

* Re: Hierarchical iMenu problems
@ 2012-02-26 19:52         ` "Jérôme M. Berger"
From: "Jérôme M. Berger" @ 2012-02-26 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> On 02/26/12 10:06, Drew Adams wrote:
>>> Is there a bug tracker somewhere where the issue can be
>>> entered / has already been entered?
>>
>> The GNU Emacs bug tracker is here: http://debbugs.gnu.org/.
>>
>> You can submit a bug report or enhancement request using `M-x
>> report-emacs-bug'.
>> See  also the Emacs manual: `C-h r g checklist'.
>>

> Bug #10706

	Thanks.

	It seems I cannot comment on the bug and I didn't see anyplace
where I could register (or login for that matter), so if you want to
add the following steps to reproduce:

- emacs -Q
- Execute the following lisp commands (for example in the scratch
buffer):
  - (require 'imenu)
  - (global-set-key [S-mouse-3] 'imenu)
  - (semantic-mode 1)
- Open a C++ file (or type the following in a new C++ file):

==============================8<------------------------------
class foo {
  void a (void) {}
  void b (void) {}
  void c (void) {}
};
------------------------------>8==============================

- Then play with the menu (S-mouse3 + mouse1). It may work for a
short while (0 to 5 times), then it stops going to the target with
mouse1 although it still goes with return.

	Emacs version 23.4.1 on 64 bits ArchLinux.

	Thanks,
		Jerome
--

@ 2012-02-27  0:02           ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-02-27  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérôme M. Berger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2012/2/26 "Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger@free.fr>:

>        It seems I cannot comment on the bug and I didn't see anyplace
> where I could register (or login for that matter),

<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10706>

To reply to this bug, email your comments to 10706 AT debbugs.gnu.org.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Hierarchical iMenu problems