This was bugging me, so I played around with it a bit more. It seems this has nothing to do at all with version control etc, but with the number of underscores. I could reproduce it on my private machine with a clean emacs 29.3 install by: - C-x C-f foo.pl - M-x cperl-mode - just keeping underscore pressed Emacs will slow down eventually and then hang. Haven't waited long enough to see if it recovers. Hope this helps. On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 8:46 PM Patrick Goldmann wrote: > Just got home and tried to reproduce this on my private machine, it worked > just fine. > > So I guess this is something on my work machine, maybe version control > related or something. > Still strange this happened while running emacs -Q. > > I can try your file tomorrow, but my guess is if I drop this into one of > my project directories it won't work. > I'll try it outside of version controlled directories, too, and provide an > example file. > > But if it turns out this is somehow related to version control or > something else in my project tree, this will be hard to debug and might not > even be directly related to cperl-mode at all :( > > On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 8:20 PM Harald Jörg wrote: > >> Patrick Goldmann writes: >> >> > While trying to open files (with cperl-mode, perl-mode works) >> > containing comments of this sort, emacs hangs. >> >> Unfortunately I can not reproduce this. I tried on Windows with exactly >> the same Emacs version with the attached file, and it works as expected. >> >> Can you pleas try this file, and provide a file where Emacs hanvs? >> -- >> Cheers, >> haj >> >>