all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Updating to Emacs 24
@ 2011-10-05  0:01 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2011-10-05  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,
I downloaded the Pretest version of Emacs 24, having Emacs 23.1.1
installed on Ubuntu. Before I mess up my whole configuration, I thought
I rather ask a few (quite basic) questions here:

1. do I have to uninstall Emacs 23.1.1 before installing Emacs 24?

2. I load most .el files from my .emacs.de, which is in my Dropbox-folder
and therefore accesible from my Linux and my Win 7 machine, and not from the
/usr/share/emacs directories - will this configuration be messed up by
the new installation?

3. should I change from Ubuntu 32 to 64, are there no problems with the
64bit version?

4. I would really like to try a minimal version of ubuntu 64 with stump-wm
and Emacs 24. Does anybody has experience with or even an example
configuration for this combination?

Thanks for any tips
Cheers

--