Hi, Reading the documentation for the variable you just pointed to made me realize that maybe transient-mode is somehow being turned off. I did `emacs -Q`, and checked the value of `transient-mark-mode' in the customize interface. It says that the value was "modified outside customize". So, something is setting this variable to nil, even though the standard value is `t'. No idea how this could be caused (maybe it's caused by the emacs-plus homebrew formula I'm using?) but at least I can get rid of the weird behavior by turning on transient mark mode now. Thanks a lot everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it. Best, Parham On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:29 PM Andrii Kolomoiets wrote: > Parham Doustdar writes: > > > Hi there, > > runs `delete-backward-char'. > > What is the value of the `delete-active-region` variable? > > I can reproduce your issue by these steps: > 1. emacs -Q > 2. M-: (setq delete-active-region nil) > 3. C-x h > 4. M-x delete-backward-char > > But if I skip step 2 the selected text is deleted. >