all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* magit: What git commands have been run
@ 2014-07-07 18:53 Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-07-07 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
    Is there a way to see what git commands have just been run? Thanks.

Shiyuan

* Re: magit: What git commands have been run
@ 2014-07-07 19:02 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-07-07 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Shiyuan,

On 2014-07-07 20:53 Shiyuan wrote:
> Hi,
>     Is there a way to see what git commands have just been run? Thanks.
>
> Shiyuan

After running at least one git command via magit, do you have a
*magit-process* buffer in your buffer list?  That should hold the
information you are interested in.

On a related note:

C-h v magit-process-popup-time

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: magit: What git commands have been run
@ 2014-07-07 19:20   ` Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-07-07 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan, help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the pointer, Alexander
*magit-process* seems not showing all git commands. I can see some `git
checkout` command there but the git commands corresponding to `l-l` in
magit is not shown in that buffer. Does magit run any git command behind
the scene for `l-l` too?

Shiyuan

@ 2014-07-07 21:45     ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-07-07 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-07-07 21:20 Shiyuan wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer, Alexander
> *magit-process* seems not showing all git commands. I can see some `git
> checkout` command there but the git commands corresponding to `l-l` in
> magit is not shown in that buffer. Does magit run any git command behind
> the scene for `l-l` too?

Indeed, you are right.  I would guess that magit runs something behind
the scenes for `l l` if only for performance reasons.  But I don't know
how you would conveniently inspect the git command issued by this emacs
command.  Well, you might take a look at the magit source code, it is
open source after all ;-)

Regards,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: magit: What git commands have been run
@ 2014-07-07 21:50       ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-07-07 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan, help-gnu-emacs

What version of Magit are you using? My magit-process shows git pulls,
commits, and pushes.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Alexander Baier <alexander.baier@mailbox.org

@ 2014-07-07 22:05         ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-07-07 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-07-07 23:50 Jai Dayal wrote:
> What version of Magit are you using? My magit-process shows git pulls,
> commits, and pushes.

Neither of these should have anything to do with `l l`, which will be
something like "git log ..." I guess.

Regards,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: magit: What git commands have been run
@ 2014-07-07 22:06           ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-07-07 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal, Shiyuan, help-gnu-emacs

I see. I misunderstood. i thought you were asking about which git commands
have been run through magit, but you are asking about git commands in
general.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Alexander Baier <alexander.baier@mailbox.org

@ 2014-07-08  4:44         ` Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-07-08  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I am using Magit 1.2.0(which is returned by C-h v magit-version)

@ 2014-07-08  4:49           ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-07-08  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I believe I have 2.0 from the git repo.

https://github.com/magit/magit

@ 2014-07-08  9:07             ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-07-08  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

IIUC, this is exactly what the OP (Shiyuan) is asking for:  Which git
command line is executed upon issuing certain keys in magit.  Looking at
*magit-process* does not clear this up completely, as only a subset of
commands (I would guess those that modify the local or a remote repo?)
are displayed in said buffer.  So we still do not know what magit does
when you do `l l` in the status buffer.

 Alexander Baier

@ 2014-07-08 18:22 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-07-08 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

>     Is there a way to see what git commands have just been run? Thanks.

Try M-x trace-function call-process RET.

Michael.

* Re: magit: What git commands have been run
@ 2014-07-08 18:25   ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-07-08 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

That's a good solution if and only if all git commands are run through
magit/emacs.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de

@ 2014-07-11  5:59   ` Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-07-11  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

That works.  At least it shows what `l-l` does.  It is also a nice trick to
know about elisp. Thank you all.

Shiyuan

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de