1) in terminal type, emacs --version 2) in emacs, type "M-x" and then type global-font-lock-mode M stands for "meta" and is generally the ALT key. 3) what the other guy said On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Kim Young wrote: > Hello, > > I am running Mac os x lion and I want to use emacs to try to write some > shell scripts for work. I am new to emacs so I would like help with some > very basic things. > > 1. What is the command to determine the version of emacs that is > provided with lion? > > 2. How do I enable color highlighting for syntext? > > 3 How do I get a list of the command sequences that auto generate > things like "for", "while" and "do" loops for the various languages (C++, > ruby, etc) I might use? > > Thanks for any help you can give me. > > > John "Kim" Young > 1663 71st Street > Brooklyn, NY 11204 > (917) 620-5562 > kimyoung@mac.com > > > > >