all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Frustrated with Font issues
@ 2014-06-05 16:31 Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-05 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

 I am using RHEL 6.5 and am running emacs 24.3 with a GUI. The fonts look
absolutely horrible, and the fonts that I have available via set-frame-font
are atrocious as well. I have asked in several places about this issue, and
I'm always blown off and told "blahh set something something in
.Xresources", but nothing ever specific.

People have said that it's an issue with X11, but I'm not convinced; every
other GUI application has normal looking fonts. Even the GUI version of Vim
has normal fonts; how can it be an X server or RHEL problem when every
other application has a sufficient set of fonts to use? This is clearly an
Emacs problem at this point.

If I use emacs in the terminal without X the fonts look fine. My terminal
says the font is "Monospace 10", and if I do C-u C-x = I get
display: terminal code #x3B

When I do C-u C-x = with GUI emacs, I get:
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-m-90-iso10646-1

Which is a font made available when I do M-x set-frame-font

Is there not a way to allow Emacs to use the same set of fonts that every
other X11 application uses? How can it be that Emacs fonts suck when other
applications have normal fonts?

I'm pissed off at this point.
Jai

* Re: Frustrated with Font issues
       [not found] <mailman.3026.1401985938.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-06-05 17:37 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3043.1401995228.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2014-06-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  I am using RHEL 6.5 and am running emacs 24.3 with a GUI. The fonts look
> absolutely horrible, and the fonts that I have available via set-frame-font
> are atrocious as well. I have asked in several places about this issue, and
> I'm always blown off and told "blahh set something something in
> .Xresources", but nothing ever specific.
>
> People have said that it's an issue with X11, but I'm not convinced; every
> other GUI application has normal looking fonts. Even the GUI version of Vim
> has normal fonts; how can it be an X server or RHEL problem when every
> other application has a sufficient set of fonts to use? This is clearly an
> Emacs problem at this point.
>
> If I use emacs in the terminal without X the fonts look fine. My terminal
> says the font is "Monospace 10", and if I do C-u C-x = I get
> display: terminal code #x3B
>
> When I do C-u C-x = with GUI emacs, I get:
> -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-m-90-iso10646-1
>
> Which is a font made available when I do M-x set-frame-font
>
> Is there not a way to allow Emacs to use the same set of fonts that every
> other X11 application uses? How can it be that Emacs fonts suck when other
> applications have normal fonts?

When you use set-frame-font, you can use the exact same fonts as other
applications.  This is what I do, to select the exact fonts I want to
use. Currently (frame-font) -->
"-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"

(frame-font is from https://gitorious.org/com-informatimago/emacs/source/pjb-xresources.el)

When you use M-x menu-set-font RET you get a font menu with pre-selected
font families. There's a way to configure this menu with your own font
families, but it seems to have changed in emacs 24, so I'm not sure how
to do it anymore.

Have a look at: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

* Re: Frustrated with Font issues
@ 2014-06-05 19:06   ` Jai Dayal
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3043.1401995228.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

With set-frame-font, it doesn't have the same font set as other
applications, though! That's the problem! They're not the same, at all.

@ 2014-06-05 19:17     ` Jacob Gerlach
From: Jacob Gerlach @ 2014-06-05 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: Pascal J. Bourguignon, help-gnu-emacs

I'm not sure what you mean by "have the same font set," particularly in
response to Pascal's comments re: the difference between set-frame-font and
M-x menu-set-font

I have the following in my .emacs:
(set-frame-font "Ubuntu Mono-13")

I can put any font on my system in place of Ubuntu Mono, be it monospaced,
variable pitch, or some nonsense like "Symbol". There is no "set" to choose
from.

Are you perhaps trying to say that a given font looks different in emacs
compared to how it looks in other applications?

@ 2014-06-05 19:22       ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-05 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jacob Gerlach; +Cc: Pascal J. Bourguignon, help-gnu-emacs

No, I'm simply saying that the fonts available in other applications are
not available with emacs. If I make it Monospace-10, emacs then actually
changes the font.. I can see the fonts change, but they don't look like
monospace-10 at all. instead, if I do C-u C-x = I get
 x:-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1 (#x3B)

Which is not monospace 10 at all. So either Emacs isn't understanding
Monospace-10 (when every other application is), or it's displaying
Monospace 10 completely differently from every application.

I've also installed a whole bunch of font sets and updated my font-cache
and other applications can see these new fonts, but with emacs, the fonts
available through set-frame-font are the same as they were before. Emacs is
indeed using a different set of fonts than every other application known to
man.

@ 2014-06-05 19:23         ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-05 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jacob Gerlach; +Cc: Pascal J. Bourguignon, help-gnu-emacs

Also, I know the problem is on Emacs' end because the sizes available are
completely idiotic. 11, 14, 17, 23.... I mean really.. every other
application can do every integer between 6 and 34, but Emacs can only go in
some dumb number of font-size increments?

@ 2014-06-05 19:33           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-05 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 13:23:59 -0600
> Cc: "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>,
> 	help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> Also, I know the problem is on Emacs' end because the sizes available are
> completely idiotic.

Strange logic: if it's idiotic, it must be Emacs's fault.

If you press Shift and click the left mouse button, then select
"Change buffer font" from the menu that pops up, do you get a font
selection dialog?  Do you see there every font you have on your
system, in every possible size?

* Re: Frustrated with Font issues
@ 2014-06-05 19:41             ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-05 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

There is no "change buffer font", there is a "change text font", but offers
no items from which I can select. There's "change default buffer face", but
again, offers me nothing,

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-05 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 13:41:35 -0600
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> There is no "change buffer font", there is a "change text font", but offers
> no items from which I can select. There's "change default buffer face", but
> again, offers me nothing,

What about Options->Set Default Font, does that pop up a font
selection dialog?

If not, what is the value of system-configuration and
system-configuration-options in your build?  Too many things don't
work for you like they should, so I'm beginning to wonder what kind of
build is that.

* Re: Frustrated with Font issues
@ 2014-06-05 20:15                 ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-05 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, it pops up something. I see Misc, Courier, and Fontset.

When you ask for system-configuration-options, do you mean how I configured
autotools?

./configure --prefix=/home/jdayal --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no
--with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no

@ 2014-06-05 20:24     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2014-06-05 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> With set-frame-font, it doesn't have the same font set as other
> applications, though! That's the problem! They're not the same, at all.

M-! xlsfonts RET should give you the font set, and it should be exactly
the same as for other applications.

The only difference may be that in application font dialogs, this list
of X fonts is collected by font family and other categories.

Reasons you may get a different list of fonts however are:

- you're using a different X server (improbable),

- the applications are using other fonts than X fonts.  For example, TeX
  will use metafonts.  Some GUI toolkit used by applications often use
  TrueType fonts (instead or in addition to X fonts).

There are some indications about using TrueType fonts in emacs in
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#toc10
but I don't know what's the status of this feature in emacs 24.

--

@ 2014-06-05 20:38       ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-05 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Okay, this kind of makes sense to me. I'm just a bit puzzled why if I do it
on CentOS or RHEL, I only have this problem. If it's on Ubuntu or Fedora,
the fonts are displayed normally. Perhaps CentOS and RHEL do something
differently that Emacs doesn't pick up on.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com

@ 2014-06-05 22:23         ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-05 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

xlsfonts actually does indeed give a DIFFERENT set of fonts that Emacs
uses. Emacs actually only has a small subset of these fonts!

Jai

@ 2014-06-06  4:36                   ` Diep Pham
From: Diep Pham @ 2014-06-06  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 14:15:45 -0600
Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> wrote:

> ./configure --prefix=/home/jdayal --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no
> --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no
You should add --with-xft.

* Re: Frustrated with Font issues
@ 2014-06-06  6:24                     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-06  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 11:36:48 +0700
> From: Diep Pham <imeo@favadi.com>
>
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 14:15:45 -0600
> Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ./configure --prefix=/home/jdayal --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no
> > --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no
> You should add --with-xft.

Yes.  Also, try "emacs -Q" (if you didn't already), it's possible that
some system-specific init files are being loaded into Emacs behind
your back that give you this trouble.

* Re: Frustrated with Font issues
       [not found] <mailman.43487.1402021656.1146.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-06-06 13:21 ` Buchs, Kevin J.
From: Buchs, Kevin J. @ 2014-06-06 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have some vague recollection of similar issues. It is what led me to
just build the latest version of emacs from source. This is not hard to
do, if you don't work about some of the dependencies on graphics
libraries (at least to build a test case). The OS packages for
CentOS/RHEL are so dated (as is most of the OS). Alternatively, I would
suggest perusing the OS packages for emacs related packages, such as
emacs-goodies and install them.

Kevin Buchs   Research Computer Services   Phone: 507-538-5459
Mayo Clinic   200 1st. St SW   Rochester, MN 55905
http://mayoclinic.org  http://facebook.com/MayoClinic  http://youtube.com/MayoClinic  http://twitter.com/MayoClinic

@ 2014-06-06 18:31                     ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-06-06 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Diep Pham; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ding ding ding. You are the winner! --with-xft solved the problem and gave
me a full set of fonts. I can get the dejavu fonts and everything looks
pretty now. Much thanks.

Jai