all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Compiling Emacs: configure --with-x-toolkit=KIT
       [not found] <7zfvgiro9p.fsf@example.com>
@ 2014-08-27 15:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.7618.1409154146.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-08-27 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Hume <David.Hume@hushmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:38:26 +0100
>
> I compiled and installed emacs from the source 24.3. But I appear to
> have created the GTK version and not the X11 version. Is there some
> other source which will produce emacs-x11? I tried
>
> --with-x-toolkit=yes
>
> but although that produced a different binary it's still the GTK
> version.

Try

  --with-x-toolkit=lucid

* Re: Compiling Emacs: configure --with-x-toolkit=KIT
       [not found]   ` <7zbnr5swwf.fsf@example.com>
@ 2014-08-27 21:41     ` Javier
       [not found]       ` <7zppflsg1r.fsf@example.com>
From: Javier @ 2014-08-27 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> I compiled and installed emacs from the source 24.3. But I appear to
>>> have created the GTK version and not the X11 version. Is there some
>>> other source which will produce emacs-x11? I tried

Do you mean the old-fashioned athena toolkit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xaw

From ./configure --help:
--with-x-toolkit=KIT    use an X toolkit (KIT one of: yes or gtk, gtk2,
                        gtk3, lucid or athena, motif, no)

The choices are gtk, lucid (same as Qt), athena and motif.

Try this

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
--localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=athena \
--without-gconf --without-gsettings
make
make install

If it does not work try --without-xft in the configure line.

Does it compile? does it look all right?  I have never tried to put
that look into emacs, but I confess that I like the minimalistic look
of the old athena X11 applications like xterm, xfig.

@ 2014-08-28 12:57         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-08-28 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes that's it, it worked.  Thanks! I didn't know it was called athena, I
> just thought it was how x11 was supposed to look.  I had tried
> --with-x-toolkit=athena before but not with those other options so it
> didn't seem to do anything.

--with-x-toolkit=athena is the same as --with-x-toolkit=lucid.
--without-gconf --without-gsettings will simply prevent Emacs from
inheriting your desktop's defaults (e.g. background and foreground
colors).

* Re: Compiling Emacs: configure --with-x-toolkit=KIT
@ 2014-08-28 14:14           ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2014-08-28 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> --with-x-toolkit=athena is the same as --with-x-toolkit=lucid.
> --without-gconf --without-gsettings will simply prevent Emacs from
> inheriting your desktop's defaults (e.g. background and foreground
> colors).

I guess that "inheriting your desktop's defaults" only works for Gnome,
right?

That would explain why I don't need those --without-g* on my build
script.

* Re: Compiling Emacs: configure --with-x-toolkit=KIT
@ 2014-08-28 14:25             ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-08-28 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Whoa, hold on here, we must discuss the drawbacks of lucid here otherwise
we'll have people running around being upset.