all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing Emacs font
@ 2014-03-24 18:05 Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-03-24 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

 I want to change the default font to be Monospace of size 12.

When I open emacs -nw in a terminal, the terminal's profile preferences are
set to Monospace 12, however, when I open up emacs without a terminal, I
get a completely different set of fonts, and frankly, they're hard on my
eyes.

How can I change the emacs settings so that the font displayed is Monspace
size 12? I tried all solutions under "Globally Change the Default Font"
found here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#toc2

But I've had no luck.. the font is still the same original one.

What am I missing?

Thanks much!
Jai

* Re: Changing Emacs font
       [not found] <mailman.18073.1395684347.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-24 20:32 ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2014-03-24 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This is what I have in my .emacs for using emacs in Linux

(when (equal window-system 'x)
       (set-face-font 'default "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1"))

The notation for the font is used for X11 fonts.  The program xfontsel
displays the fonts.

Also, you can access the font menu in emacs using Shift+left button of
the mouse.

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to change the default font to be Monospace of size 12.
>
> When I open emacs -nw in a terminal, the terminal's profile preferences are
> set to Monospace 12, however, when I open up emacs without a terminal, I
> get a completely different set of fonts, and frankly, they're hard on my
> eyes.
>
> How can I change the emacs settings so that the font displayed is Monspace
> size 12? I tried all solutions under "Globally Change the Default Font"
> found here:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#toc2
>
> But I've had no luck.. the font is still the same original one.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks much!
> Jai

* Re: Changing Emacs font
@ 2014-03-24 20:42   ` Clemens Schüller
From: Clemens Schüller @ 2014-03-24 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello!

Javier wrote on 24.03.2014 at 21:32:

> This is what I have in my .emacs for using emacs in Linux
>
> (when (equal window-system 'x)
>        (set-face-font 'default "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1"))

You could also try the following fontset:

(custom-set-faces

'(default ((t (:family "Source Code Pro" :foundry "adobe" :slant normal :weight normal :height 113 :width normal)))))

But you must install the Adobe source code pro font from [1]

Footnotes:
[1]  http://sourceforge.net/projects/sourcecodepro.adobe/

--
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller

* Re: Changing Emacs font
@ 2014-03-25 15:11 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2014-03-25 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  I want to change the default font to be Monospace of size 12.
>
> When I open emacs -nw in a terminal, the terminal's profile preferences are
> set to Monospace 12, however, when I open up emacs without a terminal, I
> get a completely different set of fonts, and frankly, they're hard on my
> eyes.
>
> How can I change the emacs settings so that the font displayed is Monspace
> size 12? I tried all solutions under "Globally Change the Default Font"
> found here:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#toc2
>
> But I've had no luck.. the font is still the same original one.

If font is not changed, you shall get some error?

> What am I missing?

You may try `M-x set-frame-font' to see if emacs knows that monospace
font at first.

--
William

http://xwl.appspot.com