Hmm, good question. All though, the OP did state he was using it to write shell scripts, others might not know. I honestly don't know. On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote: > On Wednesday 04 January 2012 18:54:31 Jai Dayal wrote: > > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Kim Young wrote: > > > I am running Mac os x lion and I want to use emacs to try to write some > > > shell scripts for work. I am new to emacs so I would like help with > some > > > very basic things. > > > > > > 1. What is the command to determine the version of emacs that is > > > provided with lion? > > > > 1) in terminal type, emacs --version > > This maybe doesn't apply to the OP, but I've seen MacOSX users who don't > even > know what a "terminal" is, let alone how to open one (being a Linux user > myself, I also had some trouble finding a way to open a terminal when I > first > sat in front of a Mac machine on one occasion). > > So, is there a way to find out the emacs version from within a running > emacs > instance itself? > > Best, :-) > Marko > > > >