all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* package wanted: browse kill-ring, but works like undo-tree
@ 2013-04-22 16:10 Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-22 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I recently tried `browse-kill-ring` (on melpa) and in theory it's really
cool. But the way it works with window-configurations and such ends up
ruining my windows. Plus the way you exit out of it isn't idiomatic for an
emacs package.

I brought these up to the author but he seems uninterested in making these
fixes. Would anyone else be willing to make such a package?

Basically, when you do `M-x browse-kill-ring` (or however you'd bind it),
it would open a new window with the contents of the kill ring in rows,
separated by some kind of line. You could then move up and down between
them with 'n' and 'p', and as you do so, it would update your original
buffer live, yanking the text right into your buffer as if you pasted it.
Each time you move across the kill ring "list", it would replace in your
buffer the last snippet with the current one you're on. When you find the
one you want, you'd just do 'q' to close the window. Or you could "cancel"
the whole operation by some other key (not sure which one makes the most
sense).

-Steven

* RE: package wanted: browse kill-ring, but works like undo-tree
@ 2013-04-22 16:23 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-04-22 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Steven Degutis', help-gnu-emacs

(Please send mail to this mailing list as plain text, not HTML.)

> I recently tried `browse-kill-ring` (on melpa) and in theory
> it's really cool. But the way it works with window-configurations
> and such ends up ruining my windows. Plus the way you exit out of
> it isn't idiomatic for an emacs package.
>
> I brought these up to the author but he seems uninterested in
> making these fixes. Would anyone else be willing to make such
> a package?
>
> Basically, when you do `M-x browse-kill-ring` (or however
> you'd bind it), it would open a new window with the contents
> of the kill ring in rows, separated by some kind of line.
> You could then move up and down between them with 'n' and 'p',
> and as you do so, it would update your original buffer live,
> yanking the text right into your buffer as if you pasted it.
> Each time you move across the kill ring "list", it would
> replace in your buffer the last snippet with the current one
> you're on. When you find the one you want, you'd just do 'q'
> to close the window. Or you could "cancel" the whole
> operation by some other key (not sure which one makes the
> most sense).

No idea whether some of the extensions and alternatives covered here might help
with what you don't like about browse-kill-ring, but just in case:

http://www.emacswiki.org/BrowseKillRing

* Re: package wanted: browse kill-ring, but works like undo-tree
@ 2013-04-22 16:31 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2013-04-22 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I personally am not interested in reimplementing something helm already
does very well.  You also get the ability to filter the kill-ring for free.

But oh noes helm is so big, hehehe.  Okay, keep piecing together all the
little functionality that helm gives you by loading these rando little
libraries that may or may not be maintained any more.

Look at helm's issues list.  Thierry is a very active and responsive
maintainer.  You can't beat that.

--
Le

* Re: package wanted: browse kill-ring, but works like undo-tree
@ 2013-04-22 16:42   ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-22 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sorry about that, didn't realize it was HTML.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

-Steven

@ 2013-04-22 16:45   ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-22 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thanks for the suggestion. I was using helm for a few months and I just
couldn't get used to it. I made ido-vertical-mode and just switched back to
ido and it's much much nicer IMPO. I'm quite terrified of ever using helm
again, so unfortunately I can't use this solution.

-Steven

@ 2013-04-23  0:05     ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2013-04-23  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org