On Fri, Sep 1, 2023, 9:13 AM Danny Freeman wrote: > > Eli Zaretskii writes: > > >> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:14:21 +0300 > >> Cc: rms@gnu.org, joaotavora@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org > >> From: Dmitry Gutov > >> > >> But we don't always agree between ourselves. Not on this subject anyway. > > > > Those disagreements are not relevant when the issue is the inclusion > > of a package in core. > > I'd like to think I have the best interests of Emacs at heart, both as > someone who has contributed a handful bug fixes to the core, as a > clojure developer in my day job, and as the maintainer of > clojure-ts-mode. > > With that in mind, I won't stand in the way of a new clojure editing > mode for Emacs, in fact I suggested enabling lisp mode for clojure files > somewhere else in this thread. However, I will advocate for not > hijacking the name clojure-mode that has been in active use for 15 > years. I don't think using the term "hijacking" is productive. The GNU emacs developers could well say that using a standard functional name like "clojure-mode" with no intent to contribute it to the core was the "hijacking", or perhaps namespace-squatting. It would be different for "cider" or another non-standard, nonfunctional name. It should have been obvious at the time clojure-mode was originally authored that the name would have been adopted for a builtin mode if there were going to be one. Lynn