Btw, it would be good if this change was mentioned in the NEWS, since I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Emacs user that will find it useful :-) On 19 November 2013 10:26, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote: > Brian Jenkins writes: > > > It's not clear to me that X itself even *has* a concept of "active > > application" distinct from "frame that has input focus". > > No, it doesn't, and it can't. > > Multiple applications can select events in the same X window at the same > time. For example, the classic debugging tool xev(1) selects events on > a window you select (say, an Emacs frame), and outputs a trace of those > events. Which is active: xev, or Emacs (which also receives those input > events and acts on them as if xev didn't exist)? > > The only sane answer is "both of them". > > > >