Btw, can someone explain in greater details what exactly is the intended outcome of this change. Frankly, it's not quite clear to me ( and as an Emacs and Mac user, such changes are of general interest to me. On 1 January 2016 at 02:40, Jean-Christophe Helary < jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote: > > > On Jan 1, 2016, at 01:02, John Wiegley wrote: > > > Since there are people in both camps (i.e., people who will configure > Emacs to > > the other pattern no matter what we do), it's hard to argue that one > should > > necessarily be the default over the other. > > For all the other Mac applications (except Xquartz) Alt is used to compose > characters that are not by default in the keyboard layout. That's one of > the very strong point of OSX machines by the way. On a standard JIS > keyboard I can type French without having to change the layout, or English, > or Japanese, out of the box. > > The default for Emacs on Mac should be the OS default so that new users > who are used to that behavior do not have to search for the Emacs way to > use their keyboard the standard way... > > Jean-Christophe Helary >