Can you explain in simple terms what exactly are the use cases for the functionality? Being able to find definitions and grep in projects? I recall having some discussion a while back, but the details are really vague in my head. On 4 June 2015 at 13:43, Dmitry Gutov wrote: > Hi all, > > A while ago, there was floated a "unified project root" proposal. I'd like > to resume that discussion. > > Unfortunately, the code proposed back them doesn't serve the immediate > need I have in mind: basically, I need that function to return a *list* of > directories, because both etags and elisp xref backends operate on multiple > directories, via tags-table-list and load-path respectively. > > If we have it, we'll be able to untie `xref-find-regexp' from xref > backends, because really there's nothing language-specific to this command. > > Now, before adding this feature to the core, are there other related > general questions we want to be able to answer? Depending on that, a > "project" might be better implemented as a cl-struct, providing specialized > implementations for those several generic methods. >