I've attached here a second patch that adds support for always inserting a utf-8 encoding comment. I've also simplified a bit the code of `ruby-mode-set-encoding' (by breaking it into several functions) as it was quite convoluted. On 7 November 2013 13:06, Dmitry Gutov wrote: > On 07.11.2013 12:23, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > >> Btw, Dimitry - please add some info the ruby-mode.el about running the >> tests. I tried evaluating and running them manually, but this crashed my >> Emacs (the tests hogged my CPU completely and I had to kill Emacs). >> Maybe there is something wrong with them right now, or perhaps they >> should invoked in some manner I'm not aware of. >> > > I'm not aware of any problems running the tests, looks like a bug. Weren't > you able to stop the freezing with C-g, at least? > > I just open ruby-mode-tests.el, M-x eval-buffer, M-x ert RET. > They run fine. >