I've mentioned only the symmetry, but obviously I think we need this (and a bunch of other string related functions, since currently the string related functions are a bit lacking), otherwise I would have not submitted this suggestion. I've often needed in my code this particular check and I'd suggest include a few string related functions as well. Just a quick glance at the number of projects using the third-party string library s.el (https://github.com/magnars/s.el/blob/master/s.el) should be all the motivation required to improve upon the existing string functions. I think it's quite important to provide an API closer to that of popular programming languages, used often for text processing(Perl, Python, Ruby, etc). That would include functions like: * string-join * string-trim/string-trim-left/string-trim-right * string-chop * string-chomp The best text editor in the world should have an extensive built-in string manipulation API, right? On 22 November 2013 11:12, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote: > () Bozhidar Batsov > () Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:06:10 +0200 > > No comments == no objections? :-) > > I think symmetry alone is insufficient motivation. Whether > or not that design guideline is appropriate here (for Emacs) > is another question. > > Generally, you can make a better case for inclusion if you > find many places in the code base where the function can be > used. Another way to improve its prospects is to show new > (and cool) code that would not be possible w/o the function. > > As i see it, no comments == no invitation. > > -- > Thien-Thi Nguyen > GPG key: 4C807502 > (if you're human and you know it) > read my lisp: (responsep (questions 'technical) > (not (via 'mailing-list))) > => nil >