I agree with Artur on both points. On 12 August 2015 at 00:48, Artur Malabarba wrote: > >>> What is the failure behaviour of package.el for this at the moment? > >> > >> Package.el will signal an error during installation if it's not a > >> valid sexp. The error itself will depend on what the problem is. > >> Here's what you get if you miss a closing paren for instance: > >> package-read-from-string: End of file during parsing > > > > My issue with this is that, iff I see this error, my first port of call > > is going to be check-parens, and generally look for unbalanced parens in > > the relevant file. And there are not going to be any, because in the > > file, there is no invalid sexp. There is a commented out, pseudo sexp. > > [...] > > Just my thoughts, I will leave the issue in your hands from there. > > Thanks for the thoughts. I do think package.el could do better error > reporting in these situations (and I might take that up too). > That said, I don't think the proposed patch makes this situation any worse. > >