Here's a patch for making the comment format customizable. How does it look to you? I'll send later another patch with the always-utf8 customization we discussed. On 4 November 2013 15:40, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > OK. I'll implement the discussed customizations. > > > On 3 November 2013 11:22, Dmitry Gutov wrote: > >> Bozhidar Batsov writes: >> >> > Sorry about the lack of clarity - I meant that if you have a Ruby 2.0 >> only project you likely don't >> > want the insertion of utf-8 coding comments. >> > >> > ... >> > >> > Yeah, I'm aware of that. In my open source projects I still keep 1.9 >> compatibility and generally >> > include those cookies in every file. Since I want them included >> unconditionally (AFAIK many other >> > Ruby programmers do this as well for the sake of consistency) the >> magic-comment functionality in >> > ruby-mode is quite useless to me even for Ruby 1.9. >> >> Now I get it, thanks for the explanation. >> >> > If we add the option to include the magic >> > comment unconditionally that might increase the usefulness of the >> > setting for some people. >> >> Sure, as long as it's not on by default. For example, add a new possible >> value of `ruby-insert-encoding-magic-comment': `always'. Or `always-utf8'. >> >> In this case, `ruby-mode-set-encoding' might short-circuit the whole >> encoding detection logic and just always write `coding: utf-8'. >> > >