all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Obsoleting hash-table-* functions in subr-x in favor of map-* functions
@ 2015-06-21 18:58 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-06-21 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm thinking about obsoleting `hash-table-empty-p', `hash-table-keys'
and `hash-table-values' defined in subr-x in favor of their map-*
equivalent.

WDYT?

Cheers,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Obsoleting hash-table-* functions in subr-x in favor of map-* functions
@ 2015-06-22  5:28 ` Bozhidar Batsov
From: Bozhidar Batsov @ 2015-06-22  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sounds a bit strange to me. Those are somewhat basic hash-table-specific
stuff. If you're going to obsolete them, why not obsolete everything except
hash-table constructors? Somewhere a line has to be drawn.

Btw, I'm still not sure about the "map" naming, as this is a term that's
not used at all in Emacs Lisp terminology and will be the source of a lot
of confusing I guess.

@ 2015-06-22  5:43   ` Bozhidar Batsov
From: Bozhidar Batsov @ 2015-06-22  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

P.S. I'm aware this was borrowed from the likes of Clojure (as was seq),
but sometimes it's not a great idea to bring in external terminology 1:1.
Anyways, that's not major. When I added those hash-table specific function
the point was to extend a specific API, not to look for some generic
solution.

@ 2015-06-22  7:27   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-06-22  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bozhidar Batsov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bozhidar Batsov <bozhidar@batsov.com> writes:

> Sounds a bit strange to me.

Might be. I was merely asking.  But now I think it should be the
opposite: map should use hash-table-* functions for hash-tables whenever
possible.

Nico
--

@ 2015-06-22  7:28     ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-06-22  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bozhidar Batsov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bozhidar Batsov <bozhidar@batsov.com> writes:

> P.S. I'm aware this was borrowed from the likes of Clojure (as was seq),
> but sometimes it's not a great idea to bring in external terminology 1:1.
> Anyways, that's not major.

We spent some time thinking about the name, and IIRC Stephan proposed
map, which I kind of like.

If you have a better name though, It's not too late to change :)

Cheers,
Nico
--

@ 2015-06-22 10:46     ` Bozhidar Batsov