all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* frame-cmds enlarge-font
@ 2016-12-16 10:04 Gauthier Östervall
From: Gauthier Östervall @ 2016-12-16 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want the functionality of zoom-frm or default-text-scale (zooming in
on all windows of a frame).

I installed both via elpa, but none worked. The first zoom worked,
then nothing more. A little investigation hints that the problem is
with frame-cmds.el, and its function enlarge-font.

This seems to relate to an ancient but (#119 and #1562), Emacs 23. I
am currently on Emacs 24.4.1 because Debian.

There is a comment in frame-cmds.el, with a work-around for this bug.
I tested it to no av, but I'm not sure I did it right:
- replaced frame-cmds.el function enlarge-font with the work-around.
Recompile with (byte-recompile-directory package-user-dir nil 'force),
start a new emacs instance. This seems to work better when I call
enlarge-font directly, although 1 and -1 as parameters don't always
work. zoom-frm's command zoom-in still works only once.

For now I will just define my-enlarge-font in my init.el as what is in
the comment in frame-cmds.el, and call that directly. It would have
been nice to have the extra functionality of zoom-frm, but I'm not
sure what the correct way to do that: modify frame-cmds, recompile,
make zoom-frm use that.

* RE: frame-cmds enlarge-font
@ 2016-12-16 14:56 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-12-16 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gauthier Östervall, help-gnu-emacs

> I want the functionality of zoom-frm or default-text-scale (zooming in
> on all windows of a frame).
>
> I installed both via elpa, but none worked. The first zoom worked,
> then nothing more.

Sorry for your trouble.

> A little investigation hints that the problem is with frame-cmds.el,
> and its function enlarge-font.  This seems to relate to an ancient
> but (#119 and #1562), Emacs 23. I am currently on Emacs 24.4.1
> because Debian.

I doubt that that bug is relevant here.  As that comment says, it was
fixed in Emacs long ago, so the workaround commented out is not needed
or useful.

> There is a comment in frame-cmds.el, with a work-around for this bug.
> I tested it to no av, but I'm not sure I did it right:
> - replaced frame-cmds.el function enlarge-font with the work-around.
> Recompile with (byte-recompile-directory package-user-dir nil 'force),
> start a new emacs instance. This seems to work better when I call
> enlarge-font directly, although 1 and -1 as parameters don't always
> work. zoom-frm's command zoom-in still works only once.

See above.

> For now I will just define my-enlarge-font in my init.el as what is in
> the comment in frame-cmds.el, and call that directly. It would have
> been nice to have the extra functionality of zoom-frm, but I'm not
> sure what the correct way to do that: modify frame-cmds, recompile,
> make zoom-frm use that.

I suggest you follow up with me off list.  It's not at all clear
what you are doing or what does not work.  FWIW, I use `enlarge-font'
and the commands in `zoom-frm.el' all day long everyday, in every
Emacs version since 20, with no problem.

A guess is that you are doing something else in your init file, which
is causing problems (especially since you seem to have the same
problem with both my code and `default-text-scale').

Do you see the same problem if you start Emacs using `emacs -Q' (no
init file), and you then load only `frame-cmds.el' and `zoom-frm.el'?
If so, then that's the place to start the discussion, to find the
problem.

If not, then recursively bisect your init file, to find the cause.
You can use command `comment-region' to comment out a block of text
(with `C-u' it uncomments).  Remove 1/2, then 3/4, 7/8,... of your
init file until you find the problem.

Follow up off list, please; this is not the place to debug the
problem.  You can always report back to the list about anything
you discover, if you think it can help others.