Sure. I should improve this in the readme. What runs as root are these three things only: 1. A little service that is part of my project, written in babashka, called els-cloner 2. The criu binary 3. the criu-ns python script That's all. CRIU currently cannot be run as non-root. The other two things wrap CRIU and so also need to run as root... except I think I could make the els-cloner service run as an els-cloner user and give it permission only to invoke criu & criu-ns as root, and I should do that. On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 8:58 PM T.V Raman wrote: > I see, I dont understand all the terminology here, which explains my > confusion. As long as neither the emacs daemon or client run as Root, > then that would take away my concern. Could you also elaborate on what > it is that runs as Root? > Blake Miller writes: > > I'd never run emacs as root either. CRIU has to run as root, but the > > processes it creates when restoring a snapshot are regular non-root > > processes, just like the one that was checkpointed. > > > > On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 4:22 PM T.V Raman wrote: > > > > > Stefan Monnier writes: > > > > > > the biggest drawback I saw at a quick-read was the need to run as > root, > > > I'd never run emacs as root.>> As the name suggests, it can provide > you > > > with the fastest emacs startup > > > >> time in the west, by using CRIU checkpoint/restore to "clone" > emacsen. > > > > > > > > Hmmm... an "unexec" that's not Emacs-specific, interesting, > > > > > > > > > > > > Stefan > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > -- > Id: kg:/m/0285kf1 > > -- > Id: kg:/m/0285kf1 >