On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 11:47 PM Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > > I've created a new package called llm, for the purpose of abstracting > the > > interface to various large language model providers. > > Note that packages in core Emacs or in GNU ELPA > should not depend on anything in NonGNU ELPA. > If llm is meant for other packages to use, > it should be in GNU ELPA, not NonGNU ELPA. > > Why did you plan to put it in NonGNU ELPA? The logic was the same logic you quote below (I'll explain better what my point was below), but I agree that it would limit the use, so GNU ELPA makes more sense. Another factor was that I am using request.el, which is not in GNU ELPA, so I'd have to rewrite it, which complicates the code. > > > I prefer that this is NonGNU, because I suspect people would like to > > contribute interfaces to different LLM, and not all of them will have > FSF > > papers. > > I don't follow the logic here. It looks like the llm package is > intended to be generic, so it would be used by other packages to > implementr support for specific models. If llm package is on GNU ELPA, > it can be used from packages no matter how those packages are distributed. > It wasn't about use, it's more about accepting significant code contributions, which is less restricted with NonGNU ELPA, since I wouldn't have to ask for FSF papers. > > But if the llm package is in NonGNU ELPA, it can only be used from packages > in NonGNU ELPA. > > Have I misunderstood the intended design? > You understood correctly. This is a package designed to be used as a library from other packages. > > > > > -- > Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org) > Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org) > Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org) > Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org) > > >