On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 10:55 PM Michael Heerdegen wrote: > Andrew Hyatt writes: > > > Your example reproduces for me in Emacs 25. My guess is that emacs > > doesn't really assume that comment lines should be treated as a > > contiguous text block. Which is sometimes right, sometimes not, in my > > experience. > > We are talking about `show-paren-mode', right? AFAICT this just calls > `scan-sexps' and looks if that errors or not, without doing syntactical > analysis itself. > > `parse-sexp-ignore-comments' influences `scan-sexps's behavior in this > regard, and setting it to nil does change the behavior in this case for > me. I guess we could use this for a solution.2 > Yes, this works to resolve the issue for me too. Are you saying it should default to nil always, or for cc-mode? It seems like setting this to nil might cause other issues we wouldn't want; ignoring comments usually seems like the right thing to do. It'd be nice, I guess, if you could just turn it to nil when in a comment. > > > For example, you could have comments that are something > > like: > > > > // This function does three things: > > // 1) Reverse the string > > // 2) Uuencode the string > > // 3) Rot-13 the string > > > > Which certainly wouldn't make a lot of sense treated contiguously. > > Well, we would not loose anything in this case: parens are already shown > as mismatches now. > > True, I guess my point is that it'd be strange to consider this as 3 unmatched parens rather than 1 per line. > > Michael. >