On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 1:42 AM Philip Kaludercic wrote: > Andrew Hyatt writes: > > > Hi everyone, > > > > I've created a new package called llm, for the purpose of abstracting the > > interface to various large language model providers. There are many LLM > > packages already, but it would be wasteful for all of them to try to be > > compatible with a range of LLM providers API (local LLMs such as Llama 2, > > API providers such as Open AI and Google Cloud's Vertex). This package > > attempts to solve this problem by defining generic functions which can > then > > be implemented by different LLM providers. I have started with just two: > > Open AI and Vertex. Llama 2 would be a next choice, but I don't yet have > > it working on my system. In addition, I'm starting with just two core > > functionality: chat and embeddings. Extending to async is probably > > something that I will do next. > > Llama was the model that could be executed locally, and the other two > are "real" services, right? > That's correct. > > > You can see the code at https://github.com/ahyatt/llm. > > > > I prefer that this is NonGNU, because I suspect people would like to > > contribute interfaces to different LLM, and not all of them will have FSF > > papers. > > I cannot estimate how important or not LLM will be in the future, but it > might be worth having something like this in the core, at some point. > Considering the size of a module at around 150-200 lines it seems, and > the relative infrequency of new models (at least to my understanding), I > don't know if the "advantage" of accepting contributions from people who > haven't signed the CA has that much weight, opposed to the general that > all users may enjoy from having the technology integrated into Emacs > itself, in a way that other packages (and perhaps even the core-help > system) could profit from it. > That seems reasonable. I don't have a strong opinion here, so if others want to see this in GNU ELPA instead, I'm happy to do that. > > > Your thoughts would be appreciated, thank you! >