On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 8:50 AM Ihor Radchenko wrote: > [ Moving this to emacs-tangents ] > > Richard Stallman writes: > > > > > As for LLMs that run on servers, they are a different issue > entirely. > > > > They are all SaaSS (Service as a Software Substitute), and SaaSS is > > > > always unjust. > > > > > > > > See > https://gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html > > > > for explanation. > > > > > I do not fully agree here. A number of more powerful LLMs have very > > > limiting hardware requirements. For example, some LLMs require > 64+Gbs of > > > RAM to run: > > > > That is true, and it is unfortunate. There may be no practical way > > to run a certain model except for SaaSS. > > > > That does not alter the injustice of SaaSS. So we should not silence > > our criticism of SaaSS in those cases, > > This is a rather theoretical consideration, but, talking about ChatGTP > (owned by OpenAI) specifically, should it even be considered SaaSS? > > https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html > says: > > Using a joint project's servers isn't SaaSS because the computing > you do in this way isn't your own. For instance, if you edit pages > on Wikipedia, you are not doing your own computing; rather, you are > collaborating in Wikipedia's computing. Wikipedia controls its own > servers, but organizations as well as individuals encounter the > problem of SaaSS if they do their computing in someone else's > server. > > Then, ChatGTP is using the user input to train their model: > > https://techunwrapped.com/you-can-now-make-chatgpt-not-train-with-your-queries/ > > ... what is constant is that the company can use > our conversations with ChatGPT to train the model. This is not a > surprise or a secret, the company has always reported it. > > There is no doubt that ChatGTP itself is not libre - its model is not > available to public. However, users of the ChatGPT model are technically > providing input that is collaboratively editing that model weights > (training the model further). So, using ChatGTP is a little bit akin > editing Wikipedia pages - collaborating to improve ChatGTP. > In addition, you can pay money to train your own model (via fine-tuning) on top of Open AI's model. Most other providers also let you do this. The model is "yours", and the training is controlled by you with no restrictions I know of. You can't separate it from the underlying model (for technical reasons). I don't know the legal aspects of restrictions on using your own fine-tuned model, but you still access it via SaaSS. > > -- > Ihor Radchenko // yantar92, > Org mode contributor, > Learn more about Org mode at . > Support Org development at , > or support my work at >