all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Failure trying to clone Elpa
@ 2018-07-29 17:26 N. Jackson
From: N. Jackson @ 2018-07-29 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Following the instructions at https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs,

  $ git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/elpa
  Cloning into 'elpa'...
  remote: Counting objects: 132670, done.
  error: object 2699d230e3b592ae42506d7b5c969a7ac6a4593c: zeroPaddedFilemode: contains zero-padded file modes
  fatal: Error in object
  fatal: index-pack failed

The following also fail in the same way:

  $ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/elpa.git

and

  $ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/elpa.git

.

Is this a problem in Elpa or is it just user incompetence? Thanks.

N.

* Re: Failure trying to clone Elpa
@ 2018-07-29 17:31 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-07-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N. Jackson; +Cc: Emacs developers

On 29 July 2018 at 13:26, N. Jackson <nljlistbox2@gmail.com> wrote:

>   $ git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/elpa
>   Cloning into 'elpa'...
>   remote: Counting objects: 132670, done.
>   remote: Compressing objects: 100% (43403/43403), done.
>   error: object 2699d230e3b592ae42506d7b5c969a7ac6a4593c: zeroPaddedFilemode: contains zero-padded file modes
>   fatal: Error in object
>   fatal: index-pack failed

> Is this a problem in Elpa or is it just user incompetence? Thanks.

It's a known problem in the Elpa repository, if you have enabled
transfer.fsckObjects in your git config, then you have to disable it
to clone.

See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22690

* Re: Failure trying to clone Elpa
@ 2018-07-29 21:03   ` N. Jackson
From: N. Jackson @ 2018-07-29 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Thanks Noam,

At 13:31 -0400 on Sunday 2018-07-29, Noam Postavsky wrote:

> It's a known problem in the Elpa repository, if you have enabled
> transfer.fsckObjects in your git config, then you have to disable it
> to clone.
>
> See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22690

I was going to say that I have no git configuration but it turns
out that I do. In addition to my name I have:

  [transfer]
          fsckObjects = true
  [fetch]
          fsckObjects = true
  [receive]
          fsckObjects = true

I read the bug report and the man page for `git clone' and then
cast around more generally in the git documentation but after an
hour or so I failed to find a way to turn off individual options
on the git command line and I failed to find a way to tell git to
ignore configuration files.

In the end, I went with the crude:

$ mv ~/.gitconfig ~/.gitconfig.no; \
  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/elpa; \
  mv ~/.gitconfig.no ~/.gitconfig

In any case, I think that https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs
should say that the emacs/elpa repository is corrupt and will fail
`git-fsck' near where it gives the command to clone the repository.

* Re: Failure trying to clone Elpa
@ 2018-07-29 21:28     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2018-07-29 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N. Jackson; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jul 29 2018, "N. Jackson" <nljlistbox2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I read the bug report and the man page for `git clone' and then
> cast around more generally in the git documentation but after an
> hour or so I failed to find a way to turn off individual options
> on the git command line and I failed to find a way to tell git to
> ignore configuration files.

git(1)

       -c <name>=<value>
           Pass a configuration parameter to the command. The value given will
           override values from configuration files. The <name> is expected in
           the same format as listed by git config (subkeys separated by
           dots).

           Note that omitting the = in git -c foo.bar ...  is allowed and sets
           foo.bar to the boolean true value (just like [foo]bar would in a
           config file). Including the equals but with an empty value (like
           git -c foo.bar= ...) sets foo.bar to the empty string which git
           config --bool will convert to false.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1