all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Noam Postavsky <npostavs@users.sourceforge.net>
To: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
Cc: Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com>, Emacs discussions <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: moving some indentation tests
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 17:02:45 -0400	[thread overview]

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> wrote:

> My own package, assess, provides good support for this kind of
> functionality. In particular, you can do this:
>

> (assess-roundtrip-indentation=
>  'emacs-lisp-mode
>  "
> (assess-with-find-file
>     \"~/.emacs\"
>   (buffer-string))")

For indent-sexp tests I just wrote this sort of thing in line (see
test/lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mode-tests.el). Would have been handy to
have some pre-written functions for it. After a quick glance I think
there are two issues that would get in the way of using the code
currently in assess for those tests though (ignoring the non-Emacs
deps).

I found that adding indentation and then reindenting turned up some
different bugs than removing indentation and reindenting. It looks
like assess only does the latter right now.

Also, AFAICT, it doesn't preserve indentation inside multi-line string literals.