On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Why not compare in using _strnicmp instead of Fcompare_strings? That > would save you the need to cons Lisp strings, and will be more > efficient (Fcompare_strings is quite complex). Not that speed matters > in this case, but it's just looks strange to me. Am I missing > something? Oops. Looking at Fupcase, I had somehow thought that unibyte vs multibyte would be a problem (and hence I should use Fcompare_strings to hide the details), but actually (as I think you've mentioned before) that's not the case for environment variables. Here's a new patch.