all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Weird behavior with magit re. frames
@ 2020-05-31  6:19 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-05-31  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found this code

(setq
 display-buffer-alist
      '((
".*" (display-buffer-reuse-window
 display-buffer-same-window))))

from the perspective.el page, at:

https://github.com/nex3/perspective-el#some-musings-on-emacs-window-layouts

For some reason, this very weirdly conflicts with magit when I have 2+ frames with different front facing buffers.

-> in one frame, I do magit-status, stage modifications, and the moment I hit c to commit, the frame is killed, I am moved to the other frame and magit tells me that there is nothing staged in the new frame, do I want to commit everything ?

I don't know how to reproduce that in emacs -Q because I don't know how to load magit from emacs -Q, so it's probably only my system, but I'd like to know if it is reproduced on other machines. If it is, it should be reported as a magit bug I guess.

Thank you in advance.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com

* Re: Weird behavior with magit re. frames
@ 2020-05-31 12:46 ` Perry Smith
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Perry Smith @ 2020-05-31 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might need to open an “Issue” on the magit git repository: https://github.com/magit/magit <https://github.com/magit/magit>

I’ve found him to be very responsive.  I’m not sure if he is on this mailing list or not.

@ 2020-05-31 13:02 ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2020-05-31 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't know how to reproduce that in emacs -Q because I don't know how to load magit from emacs -Q ...

Just a guess, but maybe eval

(require 'magit)

? Alternatively, you can probably just paste whatever magit setup code
you do have in your .emacs file into your *scratch* buffer and eval
it.

Skip Montanaro

* Re: Weird behavior with magit re. frames
@ 2020-05-31 13:57   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-05-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Skip

> On May 31, 2020, at 22:02, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know how to reproduce that in emacs -Q because I don't know how to load magit from emacs -Q ...
>
> Just a guess, but maybe eval
>
> (require 'magit)

Well, the load path does not seem to be recognized with -Q so I tried to find the file, eval it, etc. but it did not result in anything useable.

> ? Alternatively, you can probably just paste whatever magit setup code
> you do have in your .emacs file into your *scratch* buffer and eval
> it.

I don't have much magit in my init file. Just a keybinding to magit-status.

--

@ 2020-05-31 13:58   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-05-31 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On May 31, 2020, at 21:46, Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> You might need to open an “Issue” on the magit git repository: https://github.com/magit/magit
>
> I’ve found him to be very responsive.  I’m not sure if he is on this mailing list or not.

I did.

His answer was:

(setq magit-display-buffer-function magit-display-buffer-same-window-except-diff-v1)

might be all you need. But magit-display-buffer-same-window-except-diff-v1 is not defined (I've not yet replied to the issue.)

--

@ 2020-05-31 14:02     ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-05-31 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On May 31, 2020, at 22:58, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 31, 2020, at 21:46, Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> You might need to open an “Issue” on the magit git repository: https://github.com/magit/magit
>>
>> I’ve found him to be very responsive.  I’m not sure if he is on this mailing list or not.
>
> I did.
>
> His answer was:
>
> (setq magit-display-buffer-function magit-display-buffer-same-window-except-diff-v1)
>
> might be all you need. But magit-display-buffer-same-window-except-diff-v1 is not defined (I've not yet replied to the issue.)

Ok, the mail response from github removed the ', hence the undefined variable... :)

--

@ 2020-05-31 14:04     ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2020-05-31 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Its in my copy in magit-mode.el

    magit-version is a variable defined in ‘magit.el’.
    Its value is "v2.90.1-791-g62dad50a"

Perhaps you need to update?

@ 2020-05-31 16:50 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2020-05-31 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 31 May 2020 at 02:20, Jean-Christophe Helary
<jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

> I don't know how to reproduce that in emacs -Q because I don't know how to load magit from emacs -Q,

There is M-x magit-emacs-Q-command which is intended to produce the
exact command line you'll need for that.

* Re: Weird behavior with magit re. frames
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-05-31 18:50 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2020-05-31 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 31 2020, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> I don't know how to reproduce that in emacs -Q because I don't
> know how to load magit from emacs -Q,

Use emacs-sandbox.sh:

https://github.com/alphapapa/emacs-sandbox.sh

It's set up with Melpa and Org Elpa, so all it requires is a `M-x
package-install RET magit RET` and then a `(require 'magit)` in
`*scratch*` or an IELM buffer.

It runs the `emacs` binary that's on your path but does so with
`$HOME` set to a temp location. It isn't a sandbox in the sense
that it's completely isolated from your system, but it doesn't
touch your own Emacs config.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments