Thanks for both emails. Basil "fixed" my problem: Apparently I have two fonts installed on my system --- "Tibetan Machine Uni" and "Tibetan Machine Unicode", the and the former displays things correctly while the latter does not. I'm sorry for bothering you with this, but until I received Basil's reply, I hadn't realized that these are two fonts... Thanks again, and sorry for the alarm! Mayer On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 9:11 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" > > Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2019 19:04:43 +0100 > > Cc: 36020@debbugs.gnu.org > > > > FWIW, I can't seem to reproduce this on the Emacs master and emacs-26 > > branches (build info follows my signature). Here's what I tried after > > installing the fonts-tibetan-machine package on Debian: > > We don't know the Emacs version of the OP. In addition, it could be > due to a difference in the installed versions of the m17n-flt library. >