all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xdg-open in Emacs in Termux (Android)
@ 2018-05-13 10:48 Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2018-05-13 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all

With Emacs in Termux M-: (browse-url-xdg-open "http://gnu.org") opens
the URL in an Android browser. But M-: (browse-url-default-browser
"http://gnu.org") errors with "No usable browser found". This is
because even the most recent browse-url-can-use-xdg-open

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :eval no
  (defun browse-url-can-use-xdg-open ()
    "[...]"
    (and (or (getenv "DISPLAY") (getenv "WAYLAND_DISPLAY"))
         (executable-find "xdg-open")))
#+end_src

returns nil because none of the environment variables is set.

Should browse-url-can-use-xdg-open be changed to detect the situation of Termux?

Michael

* Re: xdg-open in Emacs in Termux (Android)
@ 2018-05-15  8:20 ` Jostein Kjønigsen
From: Jostein Kjønigsen @ 2018-05-15  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Michael Brand

On Sun, May 13, 2018, at 12:48 PM, Michael Brand wrote:
> Hi all
>
> With Emacs in Termux M-: (browse-url-xdg-open "http://gnu.org") opens> the URL in an Android browser. But M-: (browse-url-default-browser
> "http://gnu.org") errors with "No usable browser found". This is
> because even the most recent browse-url-can-use-xdg-open
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :eval no
>   (defun browse-url-can-use-xdg-open ()
>     "[...]"
>     (and (or (getenv "DISPLAY") (getenv "WAYLAND_DISPLAY"))
>         (executable-find "xdg-open")))
> #+end_src
>
> returns nil because none of the environment variables is set.
>
> Should browse-url-can-use-xdg-open be changed to detect the situation
> of Termux?>
> Michael

Having a termux-specific solution doesn't really sound ideal. What about
Lill Debbie (Debian bootstrapper)? Linux Deploy? Termius on iOS?
Are there another ways to detect a xdg-compliant runtime environment
apart from these environment variables, which are also applicable to
environments like Termux? If so we should apply something as general
as possible.
--
Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen

jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com
https://jostein.kjonigsen.net

* Re: xdg-open in Emacs in Termux (Android)
@ 2018-05-15 16:04   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-05-15 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jostein, emacs-devel, Michael Brand

On 05/15/2018 01:20 AM, Jostein Kjønigsen wrote:

> Are there another ways to detect a xdg-compliant runtime environment
> apart from these environment variables, which are also applicable to
> environments like Termux?

If there is such a way, it isn't supported by xdg-utils. See, for example:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-utils/tree/scripts/xdg-utils-common.in

which uses the same method Emacs does in browse-url-can-use-xdg-open.

Perhaps Emacs could examine the value of the XDG_SESSION_TYPE
environment variable, or something like that. But this should be
coordinated with Termux and/or xdg-utils.