all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* open recent file on startup
@ 2012-08-03  1:20 Ferdinand
From: Ferdinand @ 2012-08-03  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

I copied this in my .emacs file so that the recent file gets opened on startup:

(recentf-mode 1)
(if (file-readable-p recentf-save-file)
   (if (> (length recentf-list) 0)
      (find-file (car (recentf-elements 1)))))

It seems to work – when I start emacs I see my last opened file.
But then after a second, it switches the buffer back to the standard emacs start-screen.

How can I prevent this?

I have searched my .emacs file, but there is nothing else related to buffers or anything ..

thanks!

* Re: open recent file on startup
@ 2012-08-03  2:44 ` Alp Aker
From: Alp Aker @ 2012-08-03  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ferdinand; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I copied this in my .emacs file so that the recent file gets opened on startup:
>
> (recentf-mode 1)
> (if (file-readable-p recentf-save-file)
>    (if (> (length recentf-list) 0)
>       (find-file (car (recentf-elements 1)))))
>
> It seems to work – when I start emacs I see my last opened file.
> But then after a second, it switches the buffer back to the standard emacs start-screen.

Setting `initial-buffer-choice' in your .emacs might be what you want.

* Re: open recent file on startup
@ 2012-08-07  7:02   ` Jeffrey Spencer
From: Jeffrey Spencer @ 2012-08-07  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alp Aker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

How do you check if emacs is opening from clicking a file or passing in a
file argument in the terminal. I had set the function above but if I double
click a file or pass in a file on the terminal I'd prefer this to not be
activated. Instead the file clicked to be shown and to not set the
initial-buffer-choice. I figured there is a variable for the file passed in
but couldn't figure it out.

thanks

@ 2012-08-07 21:36     ` Jeffrey Spencer
From: Jeffrey Spencer @ 2012-08-07 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw