Nevermind I ended up using, (if (file-readable-p recentf-save-file) (if (> (length recentf-list) 0) (if (< (length command-line-args) 2) (setq initial-buffer-choice (car (recentf-elements 1)))))) If there is a better way then this let me know. Not sure if command-line-args contains other commands sometimes besides files passed in as most switches seem to be removed from my testing. Cheers On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Jeffrey Spencer wrote: > How do you check if emacs is opening from clicking a file or passing in a > file argument in the terminal. I had set the function above but if I double > click a file or pass in a file on the terminal I'd prefer this to not be > activated. Instead the file clicked to be shown and to not set the > initial-buffer-choice. I figured there is a variable for the file passed in > but couldn't figure it out. > > thanks > > > On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Alp Aker wrote: > >> > I copied this in my .emacs file so that the recent file gets opened on >> startup: >> > >> > (recentf-mode 1) >> > (if (file-readable-p recentf-save-file) >> > (if (> (length recentf-list) 0) >> > (find-file (car (recentf-elements 1))))) >> > >> > It seems to work – when I start emacs I see my last opened file. >> > But then after a second, it switches the buffer back to the standard >> emacs start-screen. >> >> Setting `initial-buffer-choice' in your .emacs might be what you want. >> >> >