Am 23.01.2014 17:29 schrieb "Eli Zaretskii" : > > > From: Sebastian Wiesner > > Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 15:24:14 +0100 > > Cc: Tom Tromey , Emacs-Devel devel < emacs-devel@gnu.org> > > > > > > I cannot see how *not* calling "message_with_string" in "write_region" > > could affect anything negatively. Especially in a non-interactive > > session, where "message_with_string" effectively comes down to > > "fprintf". > > Imagine some situation where this output is caught and parsed, for > example. > > In general, given behavior that is old enough, you can be sure that > someone, somewhere relies on it. I don't think it is my task to care for anyone, anywhere. If there is a concrete use case for these messages, fine, then we can try to find a good solution for either party involved, but we can't reasonably discuss about "virtual" use cases.