all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Björn Lindqvist" <bjourne@gmail.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: 67045@debbugs.gnu.org, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
Subject: bug#67045: No way to control location of .aspell.en.prepl from within Emacs
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 17:39:00 +0100	[thread overview]

I care little about what speller backend Emacs uses. I just want it to
follow the XDG (which I think it should do by default because dumping
dotfiles in ~/ is for neanderthals, but that's a different
story). Getting it to work was very difficult especially as I'm
often switching between languages. Here is part of my setup:

    (defun set-language (code name)
      (let* ((dir (expand-file-name "~/.config/aspell/"))
             (pd (concat dir code ".pws"))
             (rd (concat dir code ".prepl")))
        (make-directory dir t)
        (setq ispell-personal-dictionary pd)
        (setq ispell-extra-args (list "--repl" rd)))
      (ispell-change-dictionary code)
      (flyspell-buffer)
      (message (format "Switched to %s" name)))

    (setq flyspell-issue-message-flag nil)
    (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
    (add-hook 'flyspell-mode-hook
              (lambda ()
                (set-language "en" "English")))

I also have keybindings setup to quickly restart aspell because having
one buffer spell-checked in one language and another buffer in a
different language is not supported. I would be happier if I could
write:

    (setq ispell-personal-directory "~/.config/aspell")

and have ispell understand that it should dump all user configuration
files to that directory.

--
mvh/best regards Björn Lindqvist